Super user status

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
WWS36

Post by WWS36 »

I uploaded my own & a few others in the old system. The Masthead photos featuring my Stake Presidency were easier to do.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

The bottom line is photos are not important when it comes to the use of any tool in LDS.ORG, while nice to have but not important. If member want their pictures on the site they should but them there by their own free will and choice.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Gary_Miller wrote:The bottom line is photos are not important when it comes to the use of any tool in LDS.ORG, while nice to have but not important. If member want their pictures on the site they should but them there by their own free will and choice.
That may be your opinion or the direction given to you in your ward or stake, but in our stake, the stake president has directed that wards make significant efforts to make sure that photos are present for households and individuals. Our stake president and most of the bishops see great value in helping people to recognize their fellow ward members or leaders in the ward or stake. It helps all the members, and it helps bishops (and other leaders) as they minister to the members.

Of course, if a particular member doesn't want a photo in the system their wishes are completely respected. But where the only impediment is a lack of motivation to get the picture taken and uploaded, or a lack of technical skill to do this, someone assigned by the bishop to help with this process can have a huge impact on the number of photos that are uploaded.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Wyonana

Post by Wyonana »

I have been called in our ward to take photos of the members and upload them. I have taken some photos, but now I'm stopped. I don't have the selection on the menu to Upload Photos, and nobody in our ward seems to know how to fix that. I do not hold the priesthood because I'm a woman. Does that have anything to do with it?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

wyonana wrote:I have been called in our ward to take photos of the members and upload them. I have taken some photos, but now I'm stopped. I don't have the selection on the menu to Upload Photos, and nobody in our ward seems to know how to fix that. I do not hold the priesthood because I'm a woman. Does that have anything to do with it?

You have to have a calling recorded in MLS which gives you photo upload rights. Other than bishopric members and clerks the only other calling with those rights is Ward Website Administrator. If your bishop feels it is appropriate they can extend that calling to you and record it in MLS to provide you with the ability to upload photos. They have to make sure to use a standard position for it to provide the correct rights.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

wyonana wrote:I have been called in our ward to take photos of the members and upload them. I have taken some photos, but now I'm stopped. I don't have the selection on the menu to Upload Photos, and nobody in our ward seems to know how to fix that. I do not hold the priesthood because I'm a woman. Does that have anything to do with it?
Welcome to the Forum, wyonana!
No, holding the priesthood is NOT a requirement to add photos to the directory, being an administrator is. The following callings have default administrator privileges, and could all add photos. Sisters could be called as a website administrator, of course, to have the ability to add the photos. Wards could have several "website admins" with differing job functions.
See the help file here:
Bishop
Bishopric first counselorBishopric second counselor
Ward executive secretary
Ward clerk
Ward assistant clerk
Ward assistant clerk - finance
Ward assistant clerk - membership
Ward website administrator
dshep2020

Post by dshep2020 »

aebrown wrote:That may be your opinion or the direction given to you in your ward or stake, but in our stake, the stake president has directed that wards make significant efforts to make sure that photos are present for households and individuals. Our stake president and most of the bishops see great value in helping people to recognize their fellow ward members or leaders in the ward or stake. It helps all the members, and it helps bishops (and other leaders) as they minister to the members.
+1 Big emphasis in our stake as well.
WWS36

Re: Super user status

Post by WWS36 »

I last wrote on this thread/subject back in Nov 2012. Here it is 6/8 months later and now the Bishops in my Stake have ceased all efforts to get photos into Directory even tho they have photos sitting on a Ward computer taken at Tithing settlement!
Some of my most resistant Wards have even started Ward Groups in Facebook. This is totally mystifying to me. Apparently the LDS population don't want to be told what to do. They go out and find another avenue for togetherness??? I know this is a tech forum and my problem is mostly 'people', buy I'm totally confused. :confused:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

WWS36 wrote:Some of my most resistant Wards have even started Ward Groups in Facebook.
I assume you're aware of Handbook 2: 21.1.22

I suspect the underlying problem is that people don't want to have to log into yet another website to connect. They want to add "church" to the place where they already connect to friends and family.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
WWS36

Post by WWS36 »

russellhltn wrote:
WWS36 wrote:Some of my most resistant Wards have even started Ward Groups in Facebook.
I assume you're aware of Handbook 2: 21.1.22

I suspect the underlying problem is that people don't want to have to log into yet another website to connect. They want to add "church" to the place where they already connect to friends and family.
Very Insightful answer! Thank you. I'm not sure what to do at this point to fullfill my calling. (Maybe ask to be reassigned to the Nursery!!!)

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”