remove nonmember spouse's name from online ward directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: remove nonmember spouse's name from online ward director

Post by lajackson »

Gary_Miller wrote:I think the correct procedure, and most important, is to have accuracy in records. By this I mean marriages should be recorded on the record, whether or not the spouse is a member.
I agree. It is not a recording issue.

It is a display issue. I do not believe unwanted or undesirable information should be displayed on the web site where it will be detrimental to the other spouse. Several egregious examples have been mentioned earlier in this topic.

On the other hand, some are perfectly happy to have their spouses listed, even though they are not members.

The solution I recommend is that the member or clerk be able to toggle the display at the web site. Right now, the only way to toggle it is to make a special request to LUS to have the display suppressed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:The solution I recommend is that the member or clerk be able to toggle the display at the web site. Right now, the only way to toggle it is to make a special request to LUS to have the display suppressed.
The way I'd like to see it work is to reflect the presence/absence of a record for the spouse. If someone wants the spouse to show, create a non-member record for them. If not, then delete it. That also makes the MLS print-outs match the lds directory. And puts full control in the hands of the clerk(s).

I short, I want to see it go back to the way it was.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
TerryDM
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by TerryDM »

This issue has been reported to the leadership of the Membership department. The Directory website displays information using the guidelines and rules set forth by the department. Once they have determined the best solution to this issue, the directory team will honor their decision.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

terrydm wrote:This issue has been reported to the leadership of the Membership department.
Excellent. Thanks for the feedback.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kalong71

Post by kalong71 »

I also have sent feedback on this issue. It is serious enough that all access should be suppressed until it is fixed. Simply put -- take the directory offline until spouses without a MLS record in the same unit (member or non-member) are no longer displayed. Does anyone have the oomph to get this done?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

kalong71 wrote:I also have sent feedback on this issue. It is serious enough that all access should be suppressed until it is fixed. Simply put -- take the directory offline until spouses without a MLS record in the same unit (member or non-member) are no longer displayed. Does anyone have the oomph to get this done?
No one here at the Forum has that authority. And, in my opinion, I would not recommend it for these three reasons.

There is a process already in place to suppress the few names that should be hidden. Many desire to have their spouses who are not members listed in the directory.

The display is limited. Only members of the stake with proper LDS Access credentials are able to view the information. The information is not generally available outside a small subset of stake members.

The directory provides a great benefit to leaders and members. There is no reason to remove that resource, especially when there is a method in place to deal with this issue as needed.

Yes, as with some other things, it will be nice when the clerks do not have to worry about this issue. I am confident that time will come. But we do not set the priorities of the developers.
kalong71

Post by kalong71 »

Bro. Jackson, Thanks for the feedback. I agree, but this really should be fixed. You stated there is a process already in place. Is that contacting LUS on a name by name basis as you stated in an earlier reply? Or is there some other way to get this done? Cheers for you long standing service to us clerks! Kevin.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kalong71 wrote:You stated there is a process already in place. Is that contacting LUS on a name by name basis as you stated in an earlier reply?
Correct.

rebowes

Post by rebowes »

This is apparently still not fixed. In MLS, the member's marriage information is recorded. However, her nonmember spouse is not listed as part of the household. The household record lists only the member. However, lds.org lists both the husband and the wife. I'm not sure this was really thought through.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rebowes wrote:This is apparently still not fixed.
No one said that there was any general "fix" to this issue; what you can do is contact Local Unit Support on an individual basis to request that a nonmember spouse will no longer be shown in the Directory on LDS.org.
rebowes wrote:In MLS, the member's marriage information is recorded. However, her nonmember spouse is not listed as part of the household. The household record lists only the member. However, lds.org lists both the husband and the wife.
If you read this entire topic (yes, I know it's rather long :) ), you'll see that what you describe here is exactly how it works for everyone. The presence of a nonmember spouse in the marriage information on a member's membership record is sufficient to cause the nonmember spouse to appear on the Directory on LDS.org.
rebowes wrote:I'm not sure this was really thought through.
You are welcome to submit feedback using the Submit Feedback link on LDS.org if you would like to suggest that it should work a different way.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”