Enhancement Request: Sync separate from Subscriptions

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
smconvey

Enhancement Request: Sync separate from Subscriptions

Post by smconvey »

Here is one of two enhancements that would be really helpful:

1) In the "Subscriptions" menu, have two "Subscribe/Unsubscribe" columns - one for the "Website" calendar and another for "Synced" calendars. In my personal calendar, I don't want to see all the calendars that I need to see when performing administrative duties.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Moderator Note

Post by jdlessley »

[Moderator note: This thread is the result of splitting one thread opening post into two threads. This was done so each topic can be discussed separately. The other topic is discussed in the Two of Two Enhancement Requests (please) thread. Remember, only one topic per thread. Please see the Code of Conduct for details.]
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
kyleq

Re: One of Two Enhancement Requests (please)

Post by kyleq »

I think your description is pretty clear but I just to make sure I understand the intent. You'd like to be able to control which calendars are included in the ical sync independent of the calendars included in your main display of the calendar. Is that correct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kyleq wrote:You'd like to be able to control which calendars are included in the ical sync independent of the calendars included in your main display of the calendar. Is that correct?
Hopefully that's in the works, since I know that's been requested before.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

Russel, if that's how it works would you please explain how to do it. I to would only like to sync specific calendars to my Google calendar, bet yet be subscribed to all the ward calendars when I visit LDS.org.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kyleq wrote:I think your description is pretty clear but I just to make sure I understand the intent. You'd like to be able to control which calendars are included in the ical sync independent of the calendars included in your main display of the calendar. Is that correct?
About a year ago, jdcr256 said here that a CalDav implementation was being considered to address this. I don't know what ever became of that. But it sounded promising for suggestions such as the one in the OP. And if you review the topic I linked to, you'll see many more viewpoints on this same issue.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Gary_Miller wrote:Russel, if that's how it works would you please explain how to do it.
I said it was "in the works" not "currently available". I also want to set my lds.org calendar differently then my sync. In my case, I want to see everything on the web page, but only sync the items I need to attend.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
failproof

Post by failproof »

russellhltn wrote:In my case, I want to see everything on the web page, but only sync the items I need to attend.
+1 (and +1 for my stake clerk, +1 for my stake president, +1 for... others)

As an administrator with folks coming to me to understand one thing or another, and for various other reasons, it is often helpful to be able to see everything, even if I wouldn't otherwise subscribe to it... so if I could just sync the "important" ones to my Google calendar, that would be a fantastic fix. As it is, I'm subscribed to everything and turn most of it off most of the time by un-checking it in the calendar view, but because of that I get way more than I want on my sync.

I'd be satisfied with something as labored as or similar to unsubscribing to the ones I don't want synchronized, setting up the sync with that list, and then going back and re-subscribing to all the others if the sync would remember what I was subscribed to at the time I set it up. Unfortunately even that doesn't work. (I'm sure that is so we can add to the subscription list later as new calendars are added or callings change, etc. and not have to re-set-up the sync)
smconvey

Post by smconvey »

kyleq wrote:I think your description is pretty clear but I just to make sure I understand the intent. You'd like to be able to control which calendars are included in the ical sync independent of the calendars included in your main display of the calendar. Is that correct?
Yes please. That is it exactly.

As a stake website administrator, I need to see everything for administering the calendar. So, I cannot unsubscribe from the events that don't apply to me personally. As a result, I don't integrate the LDS calendar with my personal calendar because it creates too much noise in my personal calendar. This enhancement would be huge for me (and I think any website administrator).
russellbaird

Re: Enhancement Request: Sync separate from Subscriptions

Post by russellbaird »

Ideally I'd like to be able to have each subscription in the LDS calendar appear as a calendar in my iCal calendar or google calendar.

That way, in google or on my iOS device I could turn off or on each LDS subscription that I have so I can see the events pertinent to the task at hand, just like I do while browsing lds.org.

Return to “Calendar”