Strategy for playing "Come, Follow me"

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Please don't let any concerns about the download size deter you from making these ISOs available. No matter how long the download takes, it will be MUCH faster than me finding and downloading the videos and then creating a DVD.

I think the last time I did that, my process was maybe only 1.5x actual speed. That is, 1 hour of video took me 40+ minutes to do. It may have been even slower then that. And that's just machine time. If I have to start learning how to do DVD menus ....
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

Our stake has had a brother produce 5 master DVD's containing all of the current downloadable "Come, Follow Me" videos: One DVD for Sunday School, two for Young Women, and two for Young Men. The YM and YW each required 2 DVD's. They all have basic menus.

While it is a big undertaking for CHQ to create them in all 16 languages, isn't that obviously more efficient than stakes and wards doing this over and over? I understand the huge cost of producing and distributing them to all units through distribution, but really would like to see downloadable ISO's produced once. Downloading the huge files is far faster than producing them! If I felt like ours were professional looking menus I would find a way to post them, but I really don't think the menus are up to that level.

We plan to duplicate them for all units in the stake: 4 copies for SS, 4 for YM (x 2 DVD's), 4 for YW (x 2 DVD's). Eleven units with youth, so 220 DVD's! Luckily I have a DVD duplicator available that can burn 10 at a time. Cost for 300 paper sleeves and 300 DVD's = $90. Labels will be cheap stickon address labels printed with the title so I don't have to scribble with a marker on all of them.

Probably additional content will appear during the year, particularly after April conference, so downloading to USB or streaming is desirable.

There are challenges and people discussing them at church headquarters, but please, please, start communicating with us! If there is an effort to have ISO's I will wait for those before I start burning DVD's, but we need to know that in the next week or two. We really don't want to be going a direction that is contrary to what finally comes out.
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

aebrown wrote:My stake president has asked me to download all the videos and create a DVD.
It will take several DVD's. I think a minimum of 4.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JonesRC wrote:Not all the content currently available has been authored for DVD distribution so that is an action that would have to take place in order for the ISO to be available.

Are you saying that some of the videos should only be streamed and not burned to DVD for local use? Are they so identified?

We have buildings with no internet access at all. That totally rules out using any of those videos, although we realize the videos are all optional and not required for teaching.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:Are you saying that some of the videos should only be streamed and not burned to DVD for local use? Are they so identified?

There are several videos that cannot be downloaded. See, for example, the Why is Jesus Christ important in my life topic in the January YW curriculum. You'll see three videos in the resource section at the top that are labeled "(no download available)" and indeed when you play them, there is no "Download" link. Since they can't be downloaded, there is no way to play them offline (yes, I know there are ways to extract content from YouTube, but if the Church was careful not to allow these videos to be downloaded from LDS.org, I'm sure they don't want us working around that restriction).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:Since they can't be downloaded, there is no way to play them offline.

Okay. Got it. For the most part, in our case, that simply means they are not available for us to use in classroom instruction. We can plan accordingly.
atticusewig

Post by atticusewig »

I compiled a list of files and sizes for the download-able
videos for the Sunday School videos and they came out
to 1.1 Gb for low, 1.8 Gb for medium, 3.1Gb for high, and
4.1 Gb for all.(because each set shares some videos that
are only available in one resolution, the total is not the sum
of the collections).

The youth lesson videos are probably double that size if they
take twice as many DVDs to burn.

Is this forum an appropriate place to share a list of hyperlinks
to each of the videos for download, or does that run contray
to the code of conduct somehow ?

I ask only to avoid duplication of effort from other clerks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

atticusewig wrote:Is this forum an appropriate place to share a list of hyperlinks to each of the videos for download, or does that run contrary to the code of conduct somehow?

That would certainly be appropriate, and would probably be appreciated by many others.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

atticusewig wrote:Is this forum an appropriate place to share a list of hyperlinks to each of the videos for download, or does that run contray to the code of conduct somehow ?
Only if it defeats security in some way. Otherwise, post away. I'll probably need it myself.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

atticusewig wrote:Is this forum an appropriate place to share a list of hyperlinks to each of the videos for download, or does that run contray to the code of conduct somehow ?
Only if it defeats security in some way. Otherwise, post away. I'll probably need it myself.

atticusewig wrote:The youth lesson videos are probably double that size if they take twice as many DVDs to burn.
I don't think I'd try to equate download size with DVDs needed. Not unless you've got a player that will take "computer DVDs". I think 2 hours of running time per DVD is a better estimate. And of course I wouldn't download anything too high a quality since DVD is just SD.

Return to “Digital Media”