Strategy for playing "Come, Follow me"

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
rrose030

Re: Strategy for playing "Come, Follow me"

Post by rrose030 »

Where did you find the Ward Council, and Participating in Councils?
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

Can't really remember, but it might have been on the leadership training section of LDS.org
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re:

Post by russellhltn »

jimhyer wrote:The most expensive one, roku 2sx is the only one with USB, which is the recommended way to play videos (download first, before class) and the only model lds.org shows as approved.
Just as a note, the Roku 2 SX is on sale, $20 off. But the SX is the only model with a discount - "while supplies last". Being cleared out for a new model?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Note that the next LDSTech broadcast on this Friday, January 4, deals with the subject of "How to use Media from the Church in a classroom via mobile device or computer."

For details on how to watch this broadcast, see the LDSTech broadcasts page.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

Wow, you're quick. I was going to add a note to this thread as well about the upcoming broadcast. Thanks for doing that.

By the way, I read through this forum thread a while ago and found it really valuable. I was asked to prepare some help materials on getting media into meetinghouses, especially for the new youth curriculum.

It would be great to get some feedback from forum members on some preliminary help materials.

Here’s the help material on Showing Video in Meetinghouses that I have so far: https://ue.ldschurch.org/ldsapphelp/showing-video/

And the same content in printed form: https://ue.ldschurch.org/ldsapphelp/sho ... oguide.pdf

I am planning to make a couple of screencasts showing how to download video on an iOS and Android device (still pending app updates).

In exploring ways to burn DVDs, I had trouble actually getting a burned DVD to work. I used DVDStyler to create a DVD with a menu, and then I burned it a 2x rate. It worked on the fancy new 1080 DVD player our meetinghouse has, but not on the smaller Toshiba TV/DVD combo players. Any ideas why? I tried it twice.

I also noticed that 1080p videos don't work on the iPhone 4. This is something to note when people try to transfer video.

I found that the HDMI adapters with smartphones work well and provide the easiest solution, in my opinion.

Tom
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I would love to know if there is a way to play mp4 files from a USB flash drive on the new 32-inch LG TVs that the FM recently bought for us. I tried it once, but the mp4 file type was not supported by the TV.

Dana
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Something that others might look into (I'm not at that point yet), is Roksbox for the Roku. It allows you to set up your own server on your network. It looks like you might even be able to use a inexpensive NAS device as the server - that way you don't need to keep an old desktop computer somewhere always turned on.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I would love to know if there is a way to play mp4 files from a USB flash drive on the new 32-inch LG TVs that the FM recently bought for us. I tried it once, but the mp4 file type was not supported by the TV.
I'd Google the model number and see what it does support.

If it supports the Roku Streaming Stick, then you might be a candidate for setting up a local server.

It's an interesting time when the question isn't "can it be done" but "what route is the best route".

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnsonth wrote:In exploring ways to burn DVDs, I had trouble actually getting a burned DVD to work. I used DVDStyler to create a DVD with a menu, and then I burned it a 2x rate. It worked on the fancy new 1080 DVD player our meetinghouse has, but not on the smaller Toshiba TV/DVD combo players. Any ideas why? I tried it twice.
Odds are the Toshiba may not like burnable media. Did you try with both DVD-R and DVD+R? Some devices will take one but not the other. When I last looked into the issue, +R is technically a better system but the -R is more compatible with older devices. Otherwise, I don't think there's any difference for our purposes.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

russellhltn wrote:Odds are the Toshiba may not like burnable media. Did you try with both DVD-R and DVD+R? Some devices will take one but not the other. When I last looked into the issue, +R is technically a better system but the -R is more compatible with older devices. Otherwise, I don't think there's any difference for our purposes.
I forgot to add - I'd avoid the DVD-RW/DVD+RW. The media is so cheap, I don't think there's anything to be gained by using re-writable, and I think it has an even bigger compatibility issues with older players.

Return to “Digital Media”