Strategy for playing "Come, Follow me"

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I found a workaround for showing the video 'The Only True God...' mentioned in the January unit. It is using the original video of the talk. You can use the General Conference DVD that has that same talk in it, as that Mormon Message used one of Elder Holland's earlier talks. You can download the original talk on lds.org in the General Conference area.

That may also hold true for a few other things as well if the only speaking was the General Authority whose message was used. Virtually all Mormon Messages use a General Conference talk at some point.
rknelson

Post by rknelson »

ksolsen wrote:The Roku 2 XS also has a USB port (the other current models do not), and it can play .mp4 files only, so it would also work as a USB player, although the Western Digital product is less expensive and supports more video file formats.
The Roku XS will play several video formats, not just MP4.

"The following media file formats are supported:
  • Video — MKV (H.264), MP4 (H.264), MOV (H.264), WMV/ASF (WMV9/VC-1)
  • Music — AAC, MP3
  • Photo — JPG, PN "
From: http://support.roku.com/entries/423946-what-media-file-types-does-the-roku-usb-media-player-channel-support
The link has much more detail.

I don't know how this compares with the Western Digital device.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

One real problem with the most current thoughts in this thread are that we are limiting ourselves to the videos that are part of the 'suggested' lesson plan. This is only a suggested resource and is meant for the 'least of these', what happens if I, as a YW leader feel inspired to show a Youth Message that isn't in the 'Come Follow Me Videos'?? If we treat them as the 'Come Follow Me Videos' we fall into the same trap of teaching that the New courseware and teaching methodology is trying to eliminate. If we label these as the 'Come Follow Me Videos' then teachers and leaders in our church will feel FORCED to use ONLY those videos, and will therefore be ignoring the spirit in the preparation, or not allowing the spirit to work on them because of assumptions and limitations they bring into their preparation. This completely curtails the new pattern being established.

If we're going to burn videos:
Mormon Messages
Life of Christ - Bible videos
Youth Messages
Leadership Training Library

This may be the Come Follow me solution, but remember we still have the Leadership Training Library that is a likely training tool useful in EVERY meeting held in the church.

I realize it's something we can get in place, but it is not strategic, it is only tactical in nature, and will serve, I believe, to limit the effectiveness of the new program.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JohnShaw wrote:I realize it's something we can get in place, but it is not strategic, it is only tactical in nature, and will serve, I believe, to limit the effectiveness of the new program.

I certainly agree that this whole discussion is "only tactical in nature." It covers stopgaps measure for buildings that don't have the infrastructure for accessing media over a network (with content on the Internet or stored locally on some sort of media server), and don't have devices to play and present that content.

But I don't see how making some options available, even if they are a small subset of all the content available, will "limit the effectiveness of the new program." Having some options available seems so much better than having none (which is the case in some buildings if you rely on Internet-delivered content), so these measures will improve the effectiveness of the program.

Tactical, temporary measures should never cause us to take our eye off the ultimate goals. If we cease thinking strategically, then we will limit our future effectiveness. But that doesn't have to be the case.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
bates68

Post by bates68 »

RussellHltn wrote:Only if it defeats security in some way. Otherwise, post away. I'll probably need it myself.

I don't think I'd try to equate download size with DVDs needed. Not unless you've got a player that will take "computer DVDs". I think 2 hours of running time per DVD is a better estimate. And of course I wouldn't download anything too high a quality since DVD is just SD.
I have downloaded all the videos and sorted them as follows:
Aaronic >Month>Topic Name>video files
SundaySchool>Month>Topic Name>Video files
YoungWomen>Month>Topic Name>Video files

For all the data it is 5.8GB. I am glad to share this with anybody that wants to download all the videos from 1 spot. Most all the videos were downloaded using medium or low quality as I wanted to keep it under 8GB to get on a jump drive.

The problem is where do I upload that data so you can access it. I have a private domain name that I am glad to put them on and provide a link, but I worry about using my business name as the host. Is there any issue with doing that? If the community is fine with that then I will get them posted and provide a link here. Then you can use it if you like or not, up to you.

Thoughts?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

My comments of limitations are around our human nature, and particularly the culture pervasive in the church. Many people approach the church as a list of do's and don't's. The Youth and SS Curriculum wouldn't need to change if people truly taught effectively. I can't tell you the number of times a great spirit-filled dialogue was interrupted by a teacher that needed to 'get back to the lesson' - EVEN though the start of all the manuals tell teachers that there is MORE material than they need, and that they should CHOOSE what material is best for their individual, unique classroom setting.

I do believe that limiting teachers and leaders to an 'approved' set of Messages, will limit their effectiveness, because many of them will not see the true intention, or have it explained, etc... even if that explanation is plain from the church, stake, wards, etc... We also do not then have an effective way to 'correct' a misunderstanding of a teacher. We do not give feedback well to individuals because we either don't bother, or don't want to offend someone, which translates into entrenching what is wrong into the mainstream.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bates68@gmail.com wrote:The problem is where do I upload that data so you can access it.

I think re-distribution would run into copyright issues.

I thought you were going to post a organized list of links to the original content.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bates68

Post by bates68 »

RussellHltn wrote:I think re-distribution would run into copyright issues.

I thought you were going to post a organized list of links to the original content.
Thanks for the thought on copyright issues. I had not thought of that.

Somebody else had made mention of the links to the files. Unfortunately I do not have that information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think we need to find a way to deliver the content in easy and quick to access format. In doing so, we need to keep from being caught up in "what's cool".

For a pre-planned video, it's hard to beat VHS. Cue the video at home, and when you come to class, stick it into a TV/VCR combo and it powers up and starts playing. Hard to beat that.

Of course, the tape falls down when it comes to quick access for spur of the moment decisions. But whatever is used needs to be fast access with easily understood and quick to navigate menus. DVD is "OK", (better if the disk has been "initialized" already). I don't know the other players to know how easy to access the menus are. But unless these other players make for a better "easy to pull up" experience and don't suffer from "time out" issues - why bother?

My point, let's remember our end-customer (the teacher) and not get too caught up in showing off our technical prowess. Stupid things that work aren't stupid.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ericb

Post by ericb »

RussellHltn wrote:I think we need to find a way to deliver the content in easy and quick to access format. In doing so, we need to keep from being caught up in "what's cool".
My point, let's remember our end-customer (the teacher) and not get too caught up in showing off our technical prowess.
Yes, totally agree! I'm the HC in our stake assigned seminary (we have 14 early morning classes held in 3 separate buildings), and this topic has been a point of frustration for our teachers...most are sisters and they readily admit they are not tech savvy.

I've been looking for a unified and simple way for them to have access to on-line content, which would compliment the need for the SS, YW, and YM programs. We're looking to beef up the internet pipeline in our buildings and the Roku option appears to be a very compelling option...assuming the content would be available and well organized.

Return to “Digital Media”