SMS Text Verification Never Recieved

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
jordanrjones

SMS Text Verification Never Recieved

Post by jordanrjones »

I updated the mobile phone number listed on my LDS Account and I don’t receive an SMS text confirmation. I get an email that my profile was updated, but never a text. The result is my phone number is never verified and I don’t get texts notifications that I have set.

I have tried changing it back to my old number and don’t get an SMS text on that either.

Any tips on getting that to work? Thanks!
Goldplated

Re: SMS Text Verification Never Recieved

Post by Goldplated »

I think that you can not go back to your old number until you do verify the New, check the account of a friend to see the way he or she wrote his number
i love you my savior: jesus christ
jamesarnellgale

Post by jamesarnellgale »

I have the same issue @jordanjones but I thing the issue is not my phone or phone number. Two step SMS verifification with my phone works at dozens of other sites for me including my facebook and google accounts.

I have repeatedly tried setting SMS 2-step verification up on different browsers and computers as instructed my the service agent I spoke to at the Church Global Services center and I still get the same result. No SMS is ever sent.

I asked them to look at the logs for the transaction to see what error messages or trace information is reported and they said they don't have access to that and something to the effect of " SMS is complicated and we don't want to troubleshoot it"

Until the server side lds.org account issue is identified and resolved I have decided to use the "Third-party Authenticator" option to add another layer of security to my account.

I have successfully used both Google Authenticator and DUO ( not at the same time ) and either one will work. I have not tried the LDSAuthenticator.

Once you have scanned the QR code on you phone and have it set up If you end up loosing your phone before you can transfer the authentication you will need to put in a request here ... ( I can't find the form again, it took me a few days last time, why is it so hard to find the "Contact us with an Issue" form??? ) They ended up creating a ticket for me and had me call the global Services Center. The Lady that helped me just disabled the third part authenticator so I could log in and set it up on my new phone.

It would be supper helpful to the rest of the users with issues like these to have a link to a support form email ( not just this forum ) or ticket on the pages I and Jordan mentioned we are having issues so the backend support people have visibility to the number of users that have this issue. Without a way to document the issues on the page where the issues are encountered users are probably throwing there hands in the air and walking away feeling unsupported and only persistent people who have the time to dig around and find the buried links will ever get the help they need. More than 90% of church members I talk to about administrative issues at the ward level do not even know about this forum. I only know about it because I had a helpful stake clerk that showed me when training me as a ward clerk years ago and I am really glad he did!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jamesarnellgale wrote:It would be supper helpful to the rest of the users with issues like these to have a link to a support form email ( not just this forum )
We (the forum) are not in control of that. The help team is very small and they want to make sure everyone looks as the FAQS before asking for help. The reason is quite evident when you look at the number of posts here that could be answered by the FAQS (or even reading the links on the login page).

At one time, the help team was active in this forum, but then they disappeared, leaving behind the web pages that linked to what became community-only help.

There were a few times that we directed specific individuals to the form (after it was clear that it was necessary), but the help team wasn't happy about that. To find the form, when you go to the web pages for help, there are two prominent links that take you to this forum. You have to dodge both of them to get to that form.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mschlerf

Post by mschlerf »

The SMS Authentication code will not send to my phone when trying to log in with my IPAD, or IPHONE. I can log into my computer as I had checked the box that says "Do not challenge me on this device for the next 30 days". However, when trying to enter "Account Settings" on my computer to remove the SMS option, it asks for a verification code and it won't send it there either. I am locked out and concerned that after the 30 days expires I will not be able to access anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
SamChristiansen

Post by SamChristiansen »

Today I tried to verify my email and to add my phone number in after logging in and being prompted to verify my email & add my phone number. Both actions asked for a verification code from a text message, and I never received a text message for either.

I submitted feedback on the church's website with this information, and I'm posting here to show that it is still happening.
sharonpatey

Post by sharonpatey »

I am having the same issue
jjmerritt

Post by jjmerritt »

I am having the same issue also but I am also wondering, in my case at least, if it's because the phone number is already in the system attached to a different member. I got a new phone with a new number which immediately started receiving subscription texts for a person I've never met. I have also received a bunch of calls from church members inviting this person to activities and also phone calls from people who were obviously not active members because of their language choices so I'm guessing the previous owner of this number is not an active member but still has her information registered in the system but as not being as active, probably won't update her change of phone number. I'm hoping that doesn't mean I'm stuck with an unverifiable number and I'm hoping someone might know of a way to fix this problem? Can my ward or stake clerk have a way to change this or is it something the clerk in this person's ward or stake can do? Is there a way that either me or my ward or stake clerk can figure out which stake/ward to contact to ask? Any advice or help would be appreciated!!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Your ward clerk can give you the telephone number for the Global Service Department (GSD). Use that number to call the help desk for assistance. You will need to have your membership record number (MRN) available as they may ask for it. Your ward clerk can give you your MRN if you do not know it.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jjmerritt wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:02 am I got a new phone with a new number which immediately started receiving subscription texts for a person I've never met. I have also received a bunch of calls from church members inviting this person to activities and also phone calls from people who were obviously not active members because of their language choices so I'm guessing the previous owner of this number is not an active member but still has her information registered in the system but as not being as active, probably won't update her change of phone number.
I'd think seriously about asking your service provider for another phone number. Apparently, this number hasn't been disconnected long enough. Being able to verify your number is a small issue compared to all the other issues you'll keep having to put up with.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Church Account”