Errors trying to sign up my son for an LDS Account

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
lizbusby

Errors trying to sign up my son for an LDS Account

Post by lizbusby »

My nine-year-old son loves doing Indexing! Hurray! But now he wants his own account to work under. So yesterday, I tried to create an LDS Account for him, used his membership number and birthday. The site sent me a code to verify parental consent, but when I click on the button, it says the link is expired, even though it was sent minutes ago. Using the code also turns up the expired message. I resent the code, which got me a "too many attempts" message.

So today we tried signing in with his username to try to verify again. We get this error message:

This site requires you to verify your contact information at LDS Account in order log in. Please verify your contact information at LDSAccount.lds.org then try again.

Going to the link just leads to a page that says "Technical Difficulties."

And now it won't let us create a profile on Family Search directly either, presumably because his membership number is already attached to the half-done account.

Help?
mfmohlma

Re: Errors trying to sign up my son for an LDS Account

Post by mfmohlma »

The easiest way to verify a child account is unfortunately not obvious and requires you to ignore the email and phone verification requests on one of the pages. (If I remember correctly, there is an "optional" box around them.) You might ask your ward clerk to call the Global Service Center for your son and having them figure out what is going on.
lemnaid

Post by lemnaid »

I'm having the same issue. Our "code" is listed as "not valid" even though I used it right after I got it - and even copied and pasted to make sure I wasn't typing it wrong.
SorokineDH

Post by SorokineDH »

I too am having the same issue. We tried a month ago to sign up my son. I didn't go to the parent authorize email immediately but the next day when I clicked on it, it showed up as invalid. We started all over again today, and the same problem is happening. He can't sign in because the account "has not been activated". I can't activate it because when I click on the email the authorize link I get this:
"That link has already been used.
We are sorry, but the link you followed is no longer available. This is probably because the link has been used previously, or it has expired."

Now what? Is there a way to authorize his account or not?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

SorokineDH wrote:Now what? Is there a way to authorize his account or not?
Any uncompleted account registration expires after 72 hours. If you have not completed the registration by the verification process then you will need to start over and create the account from the beginning.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
apicklesimer

Post by apicklesimer »

We're running into the same issue when trying to setup an account for our son. We've waited the 72 hours and also over a month and the issue comes back each time we attempt to setup his account. We've also tried different browsers with no luck. I've attached a screenshot of the expired message we're getting and I suspect it's the same for the others experiencing this problem. This issue appears to be a back-end problem with your web application and its generation of the authorization link. Perhaps the source of the issue is because the account is being setup for a male? We setup an account for our daughter via the same method we did for our son without issue.
Attachments
Expired_Message.png
(22.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Have you tried deleting relevant cookies and clearing your browser's cache? Sometimes cookies and/or cache get corrupted, which can cause some very strange symptoms. Using the official help/support request channels (the 'Feedback' button or link) may be more effective than this user-to-user discussion forum. If the problem is indeed a bug in the system, at least with the official help/support request channels you have a chance of getting it escalated to engineering--though sometimes it can be difficult to convince the Church Service Missionaries in the first level or two of support.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There seems to be a lot of problems with the parental or SMS functions. As I understand it, if you're standing right there when the account is created, there's an option for the parent to login to "prove" it's approved. Apparently, that works.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
howty2000

Post by howty2000 »

I went onto the website and went to help and asked them to re-send a verification email when they did that they give you a code to put in that code works. :)
mikehallad

Post by mikehallad »

I have been fighting the same issue. When creating an account for a child under 13. It sends the mail authorization link...... that errors out by telling you it has already been used or is expired.
As the person above said,
go to "ident.lds.org"
Look for the small HELP icon upper right above your username box.
Click on help and then option 3, how do I resend verification email sent during registration.
Then enter the NEW username you are creating for the child/person.
It will then resend a code to the email address you listed as the parent, for the childs account.
type in the code on the page that pops up asking for it.
It works.

PS I spent an hour online with LDS account support and they could not tell me how to do this.
Their Knowledge Articles have not been updated with this information.

Return to “Church Account”