Two factor asked for ldsaccount.lds.org but not for others

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
tknight

Two factor asked for ldsaccount.lds.org but not for others

Post by tknight »

A while ago I saw a check box in the accounts page for 2 factor which I checked immediately. I didn't get a qr code or an SMS to verify my identity, which I brushed off as a feature that wasn't fully launched. I have since forgot about it since I could continue to access lds/lcr /directory, etc w/o 2 auth required.

This last week when I attempted to browse to account settings and it asked me for a 2auth code with an immediate error "The verification code is invalid. Please try again or select a different verification option.". This means I can access everything except for the settings that would let me fix my account so I can actually setup 2 auth correctly.

How do I go about disabling 2 auth so I can reenable it correctly?
tknight

Re: Two factor asked for ldsaccount.lds.org but not for others

Post by tknight »

This appears to clearly be a bug, but no matter the path I take through the help faq or forms I always end up here in these fortune instead of taking to someone to support me. Is there anyone I can contact about this? I'm the ward clerk and don't want my account to be insecure.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tknight wrote:I'm the ward clerk
I'd suggest you contact support.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

tknight wrote:I'm the ward clerk and don't want my account to be insecure.
In your LDS Account settings, in the Two-Step Verification screen, there's a small checkbox near the bottom that says,

[] Enable Two-Step Verification for ALL Church Applications.

The default is checked, but if it got unchecked, then only your account settings will be protected by Two-Step.

Note also the information that pops up from hovering over the question mark following the above line:
? wrote:Leave this option selected to use Two-Step Verification for all
available Church applications (including Donations and
Directory). If you choose, you can remove this option and only
use Two-Step Verification to change your LDS Account information.

Note: Some Church applications are not configured to handle
Two-Step Verification at this time.
The final "Note:" doesn't go into detail on which applications still do not support Two-Step Verification, but if it's one you're concerned about, your only recourse is to use a complicated password for your account until such time that it IS supported.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Church Account”