LDS Account for Deceased Members

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
kharoldsen

LDS Account for Deceased Members

Post by kharoldsen »

Hello All. I have a question about LDS account info for deceased members. I keep my journal and scripture notes in my LDS account notebook. Should something happen to me, I would want to make sure that my family has access to my notebooks. Anyone know what happens to a LDS account when a membership record is marked as deceased? My spouse knows my password, so she would still have access to the account, but I wanted to make sure that the notebooks are still accessible. I appreciated any guidance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: LDS Account for Deceased Members

Post by russellhltn »

kharoldsen wrote:Anyone know what happens to a LDS account when a membership record is marked as deceased?
Once CHQ is notified that the member is deceased, the account is deactivated.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

One the death is recorded by the ward clerk the associated LDS Account is deactivated and can't be accessed. I haven't heard of any way to access the notes once the LDS Account has been removed. I think your best option is to regularly either print a copy of your notes to PDF or use the Download option to store them on your local system.
kharoldsen

Post by kharoldsen »

Thank you for the info.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

As mentioned above, LDS Accounts are deactivated soon after a person passes away. However, from what I understand, it is possible to request a deceased person's notes and annotations through the Church legal department (the account is deactivated, but the annotations are not deleted right away). The person making the request needs to be the executor of the estate (not just any family member), and it may take time for the request to work its way through the process. As more members make these kinds of requests, the process will likely become easier.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

sbradshaw wrote:(the account is deactivated, but the annotations are not deleted right away)
I haven't checked with the team responsible for this, but I suspect that window is 30 days.

Return to “Church Account”