Delete LDS Account

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
michael.crook

Delete LDS Account

Post by michael.crook »

Upfont, I will say that I am but a member, but would appreciate some help. I would like to delete my LDS Account. Completely and totally delete it. I downloaded LDS Tools onto my Android tablet and it just let me right in with username and password, no challenge, no code, even though I have authentication set up properly. To be frank, I am appalled and if the Android app just lets me in, I may as well have no authentication at all.

Simply put, I no longer feel secure so I would like to delete my LDS Account. How can I make that happen, as I don't see an option to do that myself? Thank you so much.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Delete LDS Account

Post by aebrown »

michael.crook wrote:Upfont, I will say that I am but a member, but would appreciate some help. I would like to delete my LDS Account. Completely and totally delete it. I downloaded LDS Tools onto my Android tablet and it just let me right in with username and password, no challenge, no code, even though I have authentication set up properly. To be frank, I am appalled and if the Android app just lets me in, I may as well have no authentication at all.

Simply put, I no longer feel secure so I would like to delete my LDS Account. How can I make that happen, as I don't see an option to do that myself? Thank you so much.
Only the Global Service Center can delete an LDS Account; you would need to work with your ward clerk to do that. However, deleting your LDS Account is a huge step; make sure you understand the ramifications before you do that. You would no longer be able to reserve names or print temple cards on FamilySearch; you would not be able to see your ward directory or make donations online or a host of other personal things; there are many callings that you might receive where you would be unable to fulfill your calling without access to Leader and Clerk Resources or other online systems. Before you do that, make sure that you are properly evaluating the security risks you think are so great that you need to take this drastic step.

Back to the security issue that has raised these great concerns: could you please supply some more details? If I understand you correctly, you were indeed required to provide a username and password to get into LDS Tools on your Android tablet, but your concern is that you set up Two Factor Authentication (TFA) on your LDS Account and that was not required for that mobile app. Is that correct? If so, I would say that TFA is indeed helpful, but even if an app doesn't require it, it is far better than "no authentication at all." The way TFA is implemented for LDS may not be exactly what you were expecting. I would highly recommend that you read the Help with Two-step Verification page to see what options you might be overlooking, particularly for mobile devices.
michael.crook

Post by michael.crook »

I appreciate the response. I am aware of the consequences of deleting my LDS Account. I no longer do family history because I'm at the point (1400's/1500's) where documentation and proof are suspect at best, so I don't feel that deletion would be a problem as I no longer would be able to be confident about submitting temple names appropriately.

Yes, the problem is that I downloaded a Church app for Android, and it bypassed 2FA. I had no such issues on my Apple devices.

I will contact my branch clerk and get the ball rolling on deletion. Thank you!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

michael.crook wrote:Yes, the problem is that I downloaded a Church app for Android, and it bypassed 2FA. I had no such issues on my Apple devices.
LDS Tools for iOS doesn't have two-factor authentication either (unless you're talking about Touch ID or Face ID, which no longer require a password after they're set up, and are arguably less secure than a username and password – which is why a password is required every 30 days). Two-factor authentication is a new technology for the Church (LDS Account didn't support two-factor authentication until recently), so I think it's safe to say that two-factor authentication will be supported everywhere in time.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
michael.crook

Post by michael.crook »

sbradshaw wrote:
michael.crook wrote:Yes, the problem is that I downloaded a Church app for Android, and it bypassed 2FA. I had no such issues on my Apple devices.
LDS Tools for iOS doesn't have two-factor authentication either (unless you're talking about Touch ID or Face ID, which no longer require a password after they're set up, and are arguably less secure than a username and password – which is why a password is required every 30 days). Two-factor authentication is a new technology for the Church (LDS Account didn't support two-factor authentication until recently), so I think it's safe to say that two-factor authentication will be supported everywhere in time.
Yes, well, 30 days is far too long for my tastes. I understand that it's still an emerging technology for the Church (but commonplace elsewhere), but I can't abide insecure technology. I sent in a request for deletion, so hopefully that'll be carried out soon. I understand everything I'm losing, but it comes at far too steep a price for me. I take my security seriously. Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michael.crook wrote:Simply put, I no longer feel secure so I would like to delete my LDS Account.
In what way are you not secure? What particular attack are you concerned about that deleting your account would make you more secure?

Keep in mind that others can see your information on their devices. So, if you're concerned about "leakage", I fail to see any significant improvement. If you're concerned about a targeted attack, I'd think you'd be just as secure by not installing any church apps on your phone.

Keep in mind that anyone with access to your MRN and certain date information can re-create the account. Perhaps it would be more secure to leave the account, but have it "locked" so it can't be used. I'd think that would be a better option to explore.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michael.crook

Post by michael.crook »

russellhltn wrote:
michael.crook wrote:Simply put, I no longer feel secure so I would like to delete my LDS Account.
In what way are you not secure? What particular attack are you concerned about that deleting your account would make you more secure?

Keep in mind that others can see your information on their devices. So, if you're concerned about "leakage", I fail to see any significant improvement. If you're concerned about a targeted attack, I'd think you'd be just as secure by not installing any church apps on your phone.

Keep in mind that anyone with access to your MRN and certain date information can re-create the account. Perhaps it would be more secure to leave the account, but have it "locked" so it can't be used. I'd think that would be a better option to explore.
If I can just log in with my username and password, even with 2FA enabled, that's not secure. Not at all. This has nothing to do with being fearful of a targeted attack (I'm small potatoes in my branch, I don't have, nor will I ever accept, the level of access that someone would want to hack, but that's not the point!) or anything of that nature.

I understand what you're saying about locking, but I want it deleted altogether. As if I were leaving the Church, which I'm not, although I'll be honest and say if this is going to be a huge issue, then I would consider that as an option. Sadly, but I'd consider nonetheless. That's how strongly I feel about this. It has only to do with wanting a secure footprint on the Internet, which I don't think is too much to ask.

As for my information, I would hope that I would no longer show in the online directory, with my information only accessible to those with LCR/MLS access.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

michael.crook wrote:As for my information, I would hope that I would no longer show in the online directory, with my information only accessible to those with LCR/MLS access.
Deleting your LDS Account will not affect that. You will need to go into the Directory and set your visibility to Leaders Only before your LDS Account is deleted, or ask your ward clerk to do it for you afterward.

And we will miss you here at the Forum, as well, when you are no longer able to sign in. Sorry to see you go.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

michael.crook wrote:As for my information, I would hope that I would no longer show in the online directory, with my information only accessible to those with LCR/MLS access.
As lajackson indicates, that is a separate setting. If you look in the directory, I'm sure you can see people that don't have an LDS Account. That's why I'm not understanding how deleting your account makes you feel any more secure.

Question: Did you check off “Enable Two-Step Verification to all Church applications”?

According to the Help with Two-Step Verification page, "only LDS Account and a few applications that require Two-Step Verification will use this additional security measure" unless you do that second step. By "LDS Account", I'm pretty sure they're referring to ldsaccount.lds.org, where your account is managed. I highly doubt they're talking about every LDS Account login page. Unless the second step is done, I'd doubt any mobile applications would ask for the second factor.

Looking over the steps for setting up 2FA, it appears you only need 1 Factor - your login. As such, I'd think keeping your account active and locked via 2FA would be more secure than not having one at all. Especially since deleting the account DOESN'T make you disappear from the system. Having your account "frozen" would be better, but not sure about the procedure.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
michael.crook

Post by michael.crook »

I did in fact enable that option. I did see the disclaimer that some applications are not "configured" to handle 2FA, and that is what's at the root of all this. It's 2018....there's been plenty of time to implement 2FA across all platforms. Those platforms that are not configured pose, the way I see it, a security...let's not say threat.....I'll go with concern.

Over the day I've been thinking about it, and I'm going with deleting the entire account. Others' mileage, as always, may vary.

Return to “Church Account”