Two Factor Authentication

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
srasmussen

Re: Two Factor Authentication

Post by srasmussen »

I've loaded the app and used the QR scan, but now it keeps brining up a different 6 digit code every time the round pie shape circle completes and it doesn't stop. What is this?
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

srasmussen wrote:I've loaded the app and used the QR scan, but now it keeps brining up a different 6 digit code every time the round pie shape circle completes and it doesn't stop. What is this?
That is the 6 digit code you have to enter when requested after you put in your username and password. The fact that it changes every 30 seconds or so is to "prove" to the website that you still have the same device with you when you turned on the two factor authentication (and by extension you are who you say you are). Type fast. :lol:
ERHaroldsen

Changing the Two Step verification number

Post by ERHaroldsen »

How do I change the phone number used in the two step verification?
ERHaroldsen

Post by ERHaroldsen »

How does a person do the two step verification if he has no cell phone?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ERHaroldsen wrote:How does a person do the two step verification if he has no cell phone?
Looking at the Two Step Verification help page, I don't think there's any options for that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

ERHaroldsen wrote:How does a person do the two step verification if he has no cell phone?
If you have an iPod touch, iPad, Android tablet, newer Kindle Fire, or newer Chromebook, you can install the LDS Authenticator app on any of those. Or, you may be able to find a third-party authenticator app that runs on a desktop computer or in a browser. But any of those options will require you to have a personal device that you carry with you whenever you might be signing in. If that's not an option, you probably won't be able to use two-factor authentication.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:If you have an iPod touch, iPad, Android tablet, newer Kindle Fire, or newer Chromebook, you can install the LDS Authenticator app on any of those.
Can any of those work if there's no internet connection present? I realize one must have internet connection to have a need to sign in, but one might be at work and not allowed to connect a personal device. Or perhaps in the clerk's office which has marginal WiFi.

If not, then that's something else to consider before enabling it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Yes, LDS Authenticator, as well as some third-party apps like Google Authenticator, work offline. You won't receive a push notification, like you can when you're online with LDS Authenticator, but if you open the app on your device there will be a time-based code that you can type in.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
ERHaroldsen

Post by ERHaroldsen »

To change the phone number for the text verification, go to:

https://account.activedirectory.windows ... oofup.aspx

We are going to use a dedicated cell phone that stays in the office.
crazeemarchese

Post by crazeemarchese »

Apparently I turned on two factor authentication but never set up the app. However, it is still wanting me to give it a code to get into my account settings and I do not have one and it is not giving me the option to get a text to my phone. How can I get it turned off so I can fix this problem.

Return to “Church Account”