LDS Account Password Policies

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
taholelei

Re: LDS Account Password Policies

Post by taholelei »

Aloha. I try to change my email address but cant go to the account setting. I keep trying but cant open the page. The clerk go to his account and he can easily open the account setting but I still cant open the account setting so I can change my email. Mahalo
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Where are you trying to change it? You should be able to do it at ldsaccount.lds.org.

You can probably do it at www.lds.org/directory as well, but in the past there has been a bug that didn't allow adult children to edit their own contact information.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
WilsonR

Post by WilsonR »

There seems to be a growing list of studies that indicate that requiring password changes regularly hurts security more than it helps it. People tend to do small transformations on their password so that they can still remember them, and may choose simpler passwords when required to change them frequently. In the FAQ, under "Why do we have to change passwords so frequently," is says, basically, "because employees are required to change passwords frequently," which doesn't help. What it doesn't say is, "because studies have shown this to reduce the probability of intrusion." I'm sure that is what is assumed. I just keep reading that the opposite may be true.
kenbenone

Post by kenbenone »

Hi, I am not sure if what I did in response to change password was official or someone else - but I did change it to how it is now? I was hacked in February, with no loss of money, but I and jus able to start trusting the system again. Do you have any suggestions on how not getting hacked with this possible protection?? you my know about? Anything?? Thank you, Kendall Bennett -----
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Longer passwords are generally the safest – special characters or numbers don't matter as much as the length of the phrase. Though it takes more time to type, it's generally more secure to use a "passphrase" – a random phrase that would be hard to guess, but easy to remember, instead of a single word. And then make sure you keep that passphrase safe. If you use the same password or passphrase on two sites, and someone is able to figure out the password at one of the sites, then that person is able to log in to both sites, so it takes more effort, but it's more secure to use different passwords at different websites.

There are, of course trade-offs – there are steps you can take to make your passwords more secure, but they require more time and effort.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:it's generally more secure to use a "passphrase"
Generally, I agree. However, since people tend to select the same common passwords, I think it's just a matter of time before a list of common passphrases start to appear in dictionary hacks. So "more cowbell" may not be a good choice. It's far better to pick a series of unrelated words, like "correct horse battery staple".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I have a bank account where the password is limited to 8 characters. You do have to use both letters and numbers. Makes it safer, I guess. No special characters.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

lajackson wrote:I have a bank account where the password is limited to 8 characters. You do have to use both letters and numbers. Makes it safer, I guess. No special characters.
Limited to 8 characters, meaning you're not able to use more than 8 characters? I've never heard of that!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:Limited to 8 characters, meaning you're not able to use more than 8 characters? I've never heard of that!
I have an account with a storage locker company that limits you to six. Or at least, it did.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:Limited to 8 characters, meaning you're not able to use more than 8 characters? I've never heard of that!
Correct. Lowercase letters and numbers 0-9, some of each. No capital letters. I don't know if there is a lower limit, but I use a 7-character password at the site.

I am glad LDS Account allows a few more characters. (Including me.)

Return to “Church Account”