Forgotten user name and abandoned email

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Alan.Richardson wrote:With or without the check mark we are only seeing one button - to keep the email. If I try using my ldsaccount information, there are two buttons - to keep or to change the email.

The plot thickens . . .
I think you must be doing something other than following the very detailed steps in this post. Every time I follow those steps, I am safely logged in, and can click the Edit link on my profile to change my email address. Never do I see "only one button - to keep the email," as you describe.

And I don't understand what you mean by "I try using my ldsaccount information." Those steps never ask you to sign in or supply LDS Account information at all. You simply enter your membership number, date of birth, and confirm it is you.

Perhaps it would help if you told us precisely every step you are doing. That may help us to isolate what you are doing differently.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
MerrillDL

Post by MerrillDL »

Alan.Richardson wrote:Couldn't find anything in the scenarios listed, except submitting an individual request. Do you know if changing the email address through MLS will help?

That's a clever solution. MLS will sync to LDS Account providing the LDS Account is associated with the users MRN.

After you click "Can't Sign In",
Choose Option #1 How do I recover my username.
Check the box that says you "don't have/don't remember your email address"
Check the radio button "Yes, I am a member"
Enter your MRN, Date of Birth, and the letters in the Captcha image
and click on recover my username.

At this point you will be able to either specify a new email address or reset your password. Just follow the prompts and you should be good.

If you have trouble, send me a private message and I can help you offline.
Doug
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

MerrillDL wrote:That's a clever solution. MLS will sync to LDS Account providing the LDS Account is associated with the users MRN.
But what field will it sync to? I don't think my "Primary E-mail" is the one that's in MLS. Nor is my "Primary" the "Ward Directory E-Mail". I think MLS syncs with the latter, not the former.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Russell is correct. MLS is synchronized with the Directory. There is no synchronization between MLS and LDS Account.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
alan.richardson

Post by alan.richardson »

@aebrown, To the best of my abilities, I think I am following the directions to recover a user name which is sent by email to the old email address, but also appears in the pop up window. Please remember I am assisting another member who when we started knew neither user name nor password and no longer has access to the email used to register with ldsaccount.

By referring to entering "my ldsaccount info" I meant that I was using my regular lds.org credentials on the reset password module (from the "can't sign on" link. By doing so, as you experienced I have two options - to keep or to change my email. The member we are trying to assist, following the same instructions, only has the option to keep his email, like an OK button without a Cancel button.

It would appear to me there is something amiss in his profile. is it possible it was rolled over from the old system by a helpful ward website administrator, but never fully registered (but I have no real indication to back this up).

Hints appreciated. Thanks.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan.Richardson wrote:The member we are trying to assist, following the same instructions, only has the option to keep his email, like an OK button without a Cancel button.

It would appear to me there is something amiss in his profile.

This may be (but it is unlikely) a browser display issue or the member may have popups turned off.

It is more likely, as you suggest, that something is wrong with the member profile or in the way the original LDS Account was set up. Ward website administrators have never been involved in setting up LDS Access accounts, nor did they transfer them from another system.

I would suggest at this point that you visit the member (if possible) and see what that member is actually seeing, and if you are not able to resolve it that way, that the member call the Global Support Desk for assistance. If something is wrong with the account, the GSD will be able to fix it.
alan.richardson

Post by alan.richardson »

That may be the best path at this point, I am running out of options. We have used Firefox on two different machines, a d Safari on another. We have tried tried both his account and mine on the same machine and get different results.

However, email submissions through the link at the bottom of the "can't sign in" scenario questions have essentially produced the same suggestions as the forum - are you sure you are doing this right, and screenshots of the instructions.

Thanks for the help.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan.Richardson wrote:We have tried tried both his account and mine on the same machine and get different results.

That would be one of the first things I told the GSD. Let them step through it with him and figure out why his account is special.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan.Richardson wrote:We have tried tried both his account and mine on the same machine and get different results.
Interesting. As far as I know, LDS accounts fall into one of 3 classifications: Member, Non-member, Employee. But I don't think that applies to this situation. If he was a non-member, he'd have no trouble creating a new account. If he was a Employee, he wouldn't have forgotten his login.

I suppose there could be something else based on the calling recorded in CDOL, but that would be news to me. That might explain why we're seeing something different then he is. Or perhaps it's because the system has a pending email sent and waiting for that to time out (days).

As I said - interesting.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Alan.Richardson wrote:@aebrown, To the best of my abilities, I think I am following the directions to recover a user name which is sent by email to the old email address, but also appears in the pop up window. Please remember I am assisting another member who when we started knew neither user name nor password and no longer has access to the email used to register with ldsaccount.

I can't help feeling that you're doing something different from those steps, since everyone else has a different experience. That's why I asked you to say what you were doing. Sometimes the act of writing down the steps can help you see a missed step, or someone else will see a missing step. Even if you don't want to list all the steps, it would help if you would say exactly what the first three steps are.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Church Account”