Barcode on family temple cards

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
smannut

Barcode on family temple cards

Post by smannut »

Hi,

I am trying to write an application for check-in/check-out of temple cards for my family. I can't seem to find a barcode scanner that will read the barcode on a temple card. I've tried several scanners and all of the supported barcode types. Does anyone know the type or format of these barcodes?

Thanks.
Steve
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

While waiting for the answer, here's an article about barcodes generally. The Church uses several of the codes listed in this Wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcode
chrissv

Post by chrissv »

I have an Opticon scanner (purchased on eBay), and it reads it just fine.
The format of the barcode is "Interleaved 2of5" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interleaved_2_of_5

-- Steven
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

smannut wrote:Hi,

I am trying to write an application for check-in/check-out of temple cards for my family. I can't seem to find a barcode scanner that will read the barcode on a temple card. I've tried several scanners and all of the supported barcode types. Does anyone know the type or format of these barcodes?

Thanks.
Steve

Just out of curiosity what type of program is it? I might be interested in helping since I have a stack of temple cards and it would be not only useful in checking them out to people but also as another record of what I have done on them.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

chrissv wrote:"Interleaved 2of5"
If I remember right, that barcode format can result in a partial read. Some (many?) barcodes are "all or nothing" but I don't think 2of5 is like that. So you should validate the data you get from the barcode (length?) just to make sure you got it all.
smannut

Post by smannut »

Thanks to all for your replies. My friend who has the scanners is out of town until Monday, but I'll try the Interleaved 2of5 barcode type then.

Thanks,
Steve
smannut

Barcode working

Post by smannut »

All,

Here's an update on my progress. I did get the Interleaved 2of5 barcode to work on the barcode scanner. Turns out that the scanner my friend was using was perhaps too sophisticated. When he turned on all possible barcode types the scanner wouldn't read the temple card barcode. With only the interleaved 2of5 enabled the code scans fine.

So, now the next question. Anyone know what the number on the barcode means? Is it tied in anyway to any data in my PAF file, the temple submission report, or the IGI? It isn't essential for what I'm trying to accomplish, but it might make things easier if I could find such a connection.

Thanks again to all.

Steve
Roger-p40

Bar Code

Post by Roger-p40 »

It is not tied to PAF in any way.

It contains the temple id number, a seq number, and a code to indicate what work is needed for the individual on the card.

It is tied to the submission number but I can not remember how and I don't have a card to look at.

Roger
michel.loiselle

Re: Barcode on family temple cards

Post by michel.loiselle »

smannut wrote:Hi,

Thanks.
Steve
Great Steve good idea good initiative
Did you try the to scan with the mobile phone bar code application
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Barcode on family temple cards

Post by aebrown »

michel.loiselle wrote:Great Steve good idea good initiative
Did you try the to scan with the mobile phone bar code application
Please note that you are responding to a discussion that is more than 12 years old, and Steve has not made any posts to this forum since this series of posts in October 2007. So I doubt that you will get any response.

Return to “Family History”