Clarification of Privacy statement regarding Uploaded Memories of Living Persons

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
ksgentry

Clarification of Privacy statement regarding Uploaded Memories of Living Persons

Post by ksgentry »

I just wanted some clarification and insight to the meaning of the statement on a living person's page (that you are working on): "Living and confidential people are managed in a private space. Only you will be able to see and modify this person. However, anyone could potentially see the photos, documents, and stories that are attached to this person."

The last sentence has puzzled me and troubled me. Can anyone give scenarios where it's possible that anyone "could potentially see" the memories (outside of being logged in to my account; being an admin) that I've uploaded?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Clarification of Privacy statement regarding Uploaded Memories of Living Persons

Post by jdlessley »

That statement is a disclaimer to cover the possibilities of any online data being visible by others that is beyond the control of FamilySearch, unforeseeable bugs in software, or website hacking. Anything posted online has the potential of being visible by others even when measures are taken to prevent this.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
davesudweeks

Re: Clarification of Privacy statement regarding Uploaded Memories of Living Persons

Post by davesudweeks »

Here is an example, though I don't understand how: My living mother has uploaded her picture to her FamilySearch profile. I can see her picture on my FamilySearch page that I created to bridge to my deceased grandparents (I did not upload her picture but I can see the picture she uploaded).
jwthomasbennion

Post by jwthomasbennion »

Interesting, Dave. I suggest calling the FamilySearch 24x7 help-line and asking them about it: 866-406-1830.

ksgtarheel - I believed in earlier times (like a year ago), that all photos in FamilySearch were "Google-able" (searchable with almost any internet search engine), depending on the title and description. But that's a grain of sand among oceans of sand, so slim chances it would be found by accident, depending on how unique your description might be.

In fact, I just tried an internet search to see if it would find one of my special prolific memories albums at https://www.familysearch.org/photos/gal ... bum/423241 -- but it never showed up on the search results. So I would surmise that last year's login requirement for all viewers (to be logged in as a specific user) may have plugged up that hole.

Although, my search did find one semi-relevant gallery album at FamilySearch, at https://www.familysearch.org/photos/gal ... bum/566833
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

jwthomasbennion wrote:Interesting, Dave. I suggest calling the FamilySearch 24x7 help-line and asking them about it: 866-406-1830.
I'm not concerned about it - just wanted to provide an example of what could be seen as requested by the OP.

My prior requests for assistance or improvements with how FamilySearch functions have not been very helpful, especially when things don't work "right" in my opinion. The typical answer is no better than what can be found by searching through the help system. I have pretty much given up reporting bugs due to the poor response received. This coupled with the multiple changes over the past few months that make FamilySearch much less user-friendly are very frustrating.

V/r
Dave Sudweeks

Return to “Family History”