Xerox 4260 DHCP bad address

Discussions about setup, operation, and maintenance of these devices in meetinghouses other than a FHC
joelearl

Xerox 4260 DHCP bad address

Post by joelearl »

There is a Xerox 4260 in my meetinghouse library. Up to now, it has worked fine for network printing. But today it cannot be reached by any of the computers in the building. It is configured to use DHCP, but it is getting an IP address that is not in the subnet. From the configuration printout, I see these bad values:

IP Address: 192.168.1.121
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

I see these reasonable values on the Windows machine that is plugged into the same network switch:

Subnet Mask: 255.255.252.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.108.1

I have cycled the power, etc. Short of giving up on DHCP and assigning a static address (which will break as soon as HQ changes our network setup), what can I do to get a correct address from DHCP?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Xerox 4260 DHCP bad address

Post by russellhltn »

I suspect you've got a rogue DHCP. You need to find it and shut it down. It may be a member's device. If so, the problem will resolve itself once that member leaves and you recycle the affected machines.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
joelearl

Post by joelearl »

The rogue DHCP is an interesting idea. On the clerks computer and on a stake-issued laptop that lives at the building, I have been getting IP address conflict popups since a week or two before the printer went bad.

Rebooting the machine on a Tuesday night in an empty building did not help. What did seem to help was rebooting with no network cable. It came up with the same bad address, but showed a message on the "Machine Status" screen that the network cable was unplugged. I plugged it in, and it showed a message "DHCP server error, automatic IP address assigned". The assigned address (169.254.254.202.9) was different but still bad. I cycled the power again, and it came up with a good address (192.168.110.228) . It works now. We'll see how this holds.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

joelearl wrote:I have been getting IP address conflict popups since a week or two before the printer went bad.
That could be:
  • Two DHCPs working in the same IP pool
  • It could be someone has assigned a device a static IP in the DHCP pool.
  • But most often it's because, the DHCP got reset - so it's forgotten what IPs have been issued.
joelearl wrote:What did seem to help was rebooting with no network cable. It came up with the same bad address, but showed a message on the "Machine Status" screen that the network cable was unplugged. I plugged it in, and it showed a message "DHCP server error, automatic IP address assigned". The assigned address (169.254.254.202.9)
Ohhhhhh, auto assigned addresses. That happens because the device couldn't find a DHCP server. So it's stuck making up it's own address. I'd start looking at what devices and cabling are between the device and the Cisco firewall. I'm not sure what happens if the DHCP has run out of IP addresses. But that seems like a unlikely situation since the Ciscos was updated a while back. But you can log into TM and see what the peak and available is and see if you've hit that limit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
natet

Post by natet »

Also, I tend to put clerks computers and network printers in the static IP address range. That way, if the dynamic addresses get exhausted, clerks can still get their work done.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

natet wrote:That way, if the dynamic addresses get exhausted, clerks can still get their work done.
That used to be an issue, but I haven't heard any complaints on the forums since the update that switched everyone from 10.x.x.x addresses to 192.168.x.x. A quick look at usage at the stake center shows over 1000 addresses available and a peak of less than 400 used. We should be safe for awhile. :)

Return to “Printers, Copiers, and Multi-Function Devices”