Custom Reminder Enhancement?

Discussions about using and improving the new FamilySearch online application.
eliottr

Custom Reminder Enhancement?

Post by eliottr »

Hello all,

Apologies if this isn't the correct place to suggest enhancements to existing apps (or if there IS a place for such a thing, because let's face it, everyone really wants to hear about what their app lacks, right? :roll:

Obviously, the main purpose in doing family history is to ensure that our ancestors have access to all the blessings they can. But what then? One thing I've taken on to help me keep my ancestors more on the forefront of my mind is to create a Google Calendar for the sole purpose of displaying notable dates in my family history. It helps me to take just a minute or 10 to remember and think about the ancestor. So far, I record birth, death, and marriage dates, and just have them repeat. On some of the more recent relatives, I add a notification alert to that event, so I see it on my phone. I currently only go back main lines 4-5 generations, but if I do expand beyond that, it could turn into a moment where I actually learn about an ancestor I may have previously known very little about, or never taken the time to "meet" them.

You may not think of this as worthwhile, or maybe you already have something that accomplishes this. But I was thinking that I already receive random notifications from Family Tree, why not be able to customize those alerts, and have Family Tree be the one to serve up those dates. That way, I have a direct link to the ancestor within the app, and can pull up their details immediately. I'm assuming the app isn't open source, otherwise I would probably attempt this myself (with limited success, I'm sure!).

Any thoughts on this? Anyone else think they'd have interest in something like this, or do you have a suggestion for another app that may already do something like this? Or am I even oblivious to a setting already in Family Tree??
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Custom Reminder Enhancement?

Post by sbradshaw »

I think this would be a great feature, and it would align well with some of the purposes of family history. If it's simple and well-implemented, I would probably use it myself. FamilySearch has a lot on their plate and probably have to limit their focus to make sure they work on the most important things that will impact the highest number of people, so I expect you'd have the most luck pulling a third-party app together.

You could try contacting a few of the developers from the FamilySearch App Gallery. You might also try posting on the FamilySearch support forum or Yammer community.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I don't know if this is because someone saw your idea, but look what I just ran into on FamilySearch!
https://www.familysearch.org/campaign/calendar
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
eliottr

Post by eliottr »

Woohoo! That is fantastic! Thanks for remembering my thought from a month ago and letting me know! In case it was a case of someone from FS seeing my post, thank you thank you! I love taking advantage of the information available to us, and making these loved ones so real and accessible with efforts such as these.

Return to “FamilySearch Family Tree Application”