"Take a Name"

stephaniebooth

Re: "Take a Name"

Postby stephaniebooth » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:41 am

I also see that there is very little commitment to actually do the ordinances when the names are reserved with an app with no further research. The user gets the good feeling of reserving the name, and promptly forgets about it. I have had names I am researching reserved by distant cousins using these crawling apps within an hour of adding them to Family Tree. They sit there reserved for months without even getting printed. I get so frustrated because I would already have the work done if it wasn't for these apps. After doing the research, I feel like I know these dead people personally, and I know they aren't happy either!

camibrynn8

Postby camibrynn8 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:32 pm

zaneclark wrote:I have just downloaded a new app from the FS website called "Take a Name." It searches your tree for ordinances that need to be done. I have some questions about this, but the developers don't seem to have a help or service link. One of my questions is this....doesn't FS have a way to identify needed ordinances without using a separate app?

If u go to family search then temple and click then choose opportunities. This should show u names waiting.

joangreg6

Postby joangreg6 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:38 am

Hi,

I downloaded Take a name for my side of the family and it worked great, I am going to the Temple! When I was doing it on my husbands side, it gave me the option to pick 5, 10 or 20 names. Most of those names were within the 110 year limit and so I probably can't do most. How can I change the search to all names in all lines for him?

Joan Gregory

alanjones10

Postby alanjones10 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:30 pm

I was serving in the Newport Temple today. Part of the time I was the recording at the side of the baptismal font. One couple from out of state where her on vacation. They mentioned they had download Take A Name. At the hotel they are at they then printed off 20 names for her and 20 names for him, which they brought to the temple today. Wow! I am impressed. So I am working to get it downloaded now. I am excited. Alan

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:06 pm

Before you get too carried away, you might want to watch this:

BYU Family History Library: What Every Family Tree User Should Know about Name Finding Apps

I'd suggest that if the whole point was to generate names, the church would have built that app a long time ago and pushed the button for us instead of building a website.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

Return to “FamilySearch Products”