Meetinghouse Names

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

One of the things I heard is the name given to the general type of plan your building used at the time they designed it.

Goes back to the 1980 Church News article about floor plans and standard plans, had three drawings of typical buildings they were just starting. You may be able to find it on the Deseret News website under the archives (pre-1988), but the link is a little hard to find

The names I saw were 'Sage', 'Aspen', and 'Cody'. Other names may have come and gone since as well. Another term heard was 'phase' with a number from 1 to 4, the higher the number, the bigger the building, and a 'phase 4' was presumably a stake center building, that may have gone into disuse as well.

i don't think they had names for one-of-a-kind buildings such as the aforementioned grocery store remodel, or other church structures the Church picked up and began using for our own meetinghouses.
andersonj

Post by andersonj »

Here's a link to the article James mentioned with information about the Sage, Aspen and Cody standard plans. For a list of the plan types that are currently in use, see the Standard Plans Planning Brochure on http://lds.org/aec/. We're looking into ways for sharing information about the rest of the older plan types online as well.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

AndersonJ wrote:Here's a link to the article James mentioned with information about the Sage, Aspen and Cody standard plans. For a list of the plan types that are currently in use, see the Standard Plans Planning Brochure on http://lds.org/aec/. We're looking into ways for sharing information about the rest of the older plan types online as well.

Thank you for the information. It has helped a lot, but most of my buildings in my stake were built before 1980. Some were acquired from another church, and one is a converted shopping center.

I look forward to seeing the other "older" plans.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Interesting to see that. It will be interesting too to find plans of old meetinghouses, like thats of 1980's. To me, a wonderful feature will be add plans from international buildings, like the characteristics buildings built in Brazil.
bplewe

Post by bplewe »

The authoritative work on the subject is Richard Jackson's Places of Worship, which is available online from the BYU Library. Fairly exhaustive history of meetinghouses, including almost all standard plans. It only goes up to 1980, though. People always find it fun to find all the churches they've attended.
terrywfoster

Re: Meetinghouse Names

Post by terrywfoster »

I was curious about the ward building design I grew up in. I emailed the AEC Division of the Meetinghouse Facilities Department with pictures of the building asking for assistance. They were very helpful and replied that it was a Beaumont building developed in 1976. They even emailed a PDF of the plans for that style of building. It was very informational and interesting to see. I'm not sure if I can post that PDF here but I'd send it to anyone interested.

I've always loved LDS meeting house designs since I was a kid. I have a hobby of taking pictures of the meetings houses I come across as I travel and posting them in an online photo album via SmugMug.
CleggGP
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Meetinghouse Names

Post by CleggGP »

Building "plan type" is often included with architectural plans, which FMs may be able to access. Otherwise FMs may be able to get building drawings and type from the Meetinghouse Facilities Department (referencing the property number).

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”