filter.lds.org Audit

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
jstanworth

filter.lds.org Audit

Post by jstanworth »

Hello All

I see a lot of threads about the filter audit. I too was called out to look at a "audit exception" for a failed filter.lds.org check. When I get onsite, and do all the checks everything checks out fine. So I'm posting another thread to hopefully help clarify my findings. I hope future searches on the topic will find this topic, and they can resolve it over the phone with the auditor. Sorry if this is a duplicate!

The wording of the audit question isn't clear, but I can't change that, so I'm going to post exactly what should be seen from the different browsers, because different browsers see different screens. Bottom line here is you want filter.lds.org to be blocked by block.opendns.com, that is testing the filter. You should NOT see another page. Some people are hoping to see the filter settings, that is not the case. These are the browsers I've tested, results below. I've also attached pictures
1. Internet Explorer; 2. Edge; 3. Firefox 4. Chrome, (please respond if you would like another browser tested)

1. Internet Explorer (lighter blue e with the yellow "swoosh" icon)
IE-InternetExplorericon.png
IE-InternetExplorericon.png (2.27 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
-
Green check mark and say this site is blocked. If the site is blocked, it means the test succeeded. The filter is blocking this site.
The URL will go to https://block.opendns.com/main?url=7174 ... ging=&nref again if you see block.opendns.com that means the test succeeded.
IE.png
(12.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2. Edge (darker blue e icon)
edgeicon.png
edgeicon.png (1.44 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
-
Green check mark and say this site is blocked. If the site is blocked, it means the test succeeded. The filter is blocking this site.
The URL will go to https://block.opendns.com/main?url=7174 ... ging=&nref again if you see block.opendns.com that means the test succeeded.
Edge.png
(11.79 KiB) Not downloaded yet
3. Firefox (circle with blue down the middle and yellow fading to red around clockwise in the shape of a fox)
firefoxicon.png
firefoxicon.png (2.36 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
-
Big white X on screen is a success. The filter is blocking this site.
Firefox.png
(18.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
4. Chrome (circle with red on top, yellow on the right, green on the left, and blue in the middle)
chromeicon.png
chromeicon.png (1.96 KiB) Viewed 1549 times
-
Chrome.png
(19.91 KiB) Not downloaded yet
I hope this helps. I tried to be very explicit. Please let me know if there are any questions. I will be emailed if you reply to this thread.

Thanks!
Jamey
Longmont Colorado Stake Technogeek
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: filter.lds.org Audit

Post by russellhltn »

If you get a big white "X", and the URL shows filter.lds.org, the test has failed. You can verify this by going to filter.lds.org via a connection outside the meetinghouse, such as your phone using a data connection (not the meetinghouse WiFi).

The result for Firefox doesn't sound right. That browser might be using a different DNS or a VPN which results in bypassing the filter.

"filter.lds.org" is just a simple page with a white X. The way the test works is the url filter.lds.org listed in the filtering system as a "bad" URL with it's own blocking screen (The checkmark). So, if you attempt to go to filter.lds.org and end up there (white X), the filter is not working. But if the network redirects the attempt and you end up at block.opendns.com (checkmark) then the filter is working.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”