Meetinghouse DNS Setting Changes

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Meetinghouse DNS Setting Changes

Post by russellhltn »

danpass wrote:However, in the event that someone chooses to set a static IP address for a Windows computer locally on the device, this setting is independent of the DNS server(s) setting.
Regarding your screen shot. While it looks like the settings are independent, on my machine, once I set a static IP the DNS switches to static and the setting is grayed out.

So, my choices are: Auto IP/Auto DNS, Auto IP/Manual DNS, Manual IP/Manual DNS. There's no way to do Manual IP/Auto DNS.

Edit: A quick read suggests there is no standard for Static IP/Auto DNS. The Auto DNS is part of the information the computer receives from the DHCP when it gets an IP assignment. There doesn't seem to be a way to get the DNS without that. If you set the Static IP locally, there's no contact with the DHCP to get that information.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Hmmm, I still haven't received an email. At any rate, I noticed the following error in TM when I click on the Filter Type link:

Firewall's DNS are not valid. Filter may not be working correctly.

I assume that doesn't actually affect anything, and they just need to update something, but thought I'd mention it in case someone is monitoring this.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
danpass

Post by danpass »

russellhltn wrote:
danpass wrote:However, in the event that someone chooses to set a static IP address for a Windows computer locally on the device, this setting is independent of the DNS server(s) setting.
Regarding your screen shot. While it looks like the settings are independent, on my machine, once I set a static IP the DNS switches to static and the setting is grayed out.

So, my choices are: Auto IP/Auto DNS, Auto IP/Manual DNS, Manual IP/Manual DNS. There's no way to do Manual IP/Auto DNS.

Edit: A quick read suggests there is no standard for Static IP/Auto DNS. The Auto DNS is part of the information the computer receives from the DHCP when it gets an IP assignment. There doesn't seem to be a way to get the DNS without that. If you set the Static IP locally, there's no contact with the DHCP to get that information.
Thanks! I stand corrected.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

For Manual IP/Auto DNS, a half-way solution would be to use the router's IP address as the DNS address of your static IP configured device. I know it works on consumer routers. I've never tried it on a Meraki MX64, behind a managed domain.
miken2av

Post by miken2av »

We had an issue with the new DNS settings blocking photos.google.com. I actually found out from my daughter who is serving a mission in IIF. Last week should could get to google photos at her local FHC and this week she couldn't. I checked at our buildings at it was blocked as well. I emailed mht an OPENDNS block screenshot and they were not aware of it but checked and found the same result. Within a few minutes I had a return email that it should be fixed. I checked and it photos.google.com now works. I have used OPENDNS at home for years and love it. My kids have not been so fond of it. ;)
natet

Post by natet »

Has anyone else had issues with computers losing their DNS settings periodically? I went through all my buildings today and made sure the DNS was set for computers I had moved to static IP's. I tested each computer after I put in the DNS addresses. In at least 2 cases, the computers lost the changes and ended up with a blank DNS later in the day and had to be set again. In one case, it lost it multiple times.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”