Why is Ninite.com Blocked?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
schester

Why is Ninite.com Blocked?

Post by schester »

Ninite is a great utility for keeping applications updated on computers. It’s a great security tool and makes setting up computers much easier.

I’ve been refreshing some computers this week and in two of our three buildings, no problems using ninite, but in the third, ninite.com is blocked.

I can’t fill out the form to report a problem; it doesn’t work, so I’m venting here!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Why is Ninite.com Blocked?

Post by lajackson »

schester wrote:I’ve been refreshing some computers this week and in two of our three buildings, no problems using ninite, but in the third, ninite.com is blocked.
Has the level of security been upgraded at that third meetinghouse? Or worse, is the filter failing at the first two?

Do you pay the $1 per machine per month, or does the stake cover that expense for you?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The church uses a commercial filtering service. The church set the filtering by category.

As for Ninite, I would check to make sure that it's being used in accordance with the Terms of Service. Many times, these type of programs are free only for "home use" and would not apply to a church computer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bartj »

I just successfully tested the filtering feedback tool in Technology Manager. Submit your feedback using this tool and your request will be reviewed. Here's a link with more information - https://www.lds.org/help/support/meetin ... k?lang=eng.
schester

Post by schester »

I believe the MLS filter (filter.lds.org) passes at the other locations as we just completed audits recently, but either something changed or this site has a more restrictive policy than the others.

As I run an IT company, we subscribe to a large package of computers with Ninite Pro, so the 20-30 stake computers doesn't really cost me anything directly.

I'll be back at that building again later this week and will test reporting the issue on the block page, but when I was there on Friday, clicking the link did nothing on the block page.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

schester wrote:As I run an IT company, we subscribe to a large package of computers with Ninite Pro, so the 20-30 stake computers doesn't really cost me anything directly.
I believe the policy is that all software on a church computer must be licensed to the church. Otherwise, in the event of an independent audit, it's likely to show "unlicensed" software on the computers.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

russellhltn wrote:
schester wrote:As I run an IT company, we subscribe to a large package of computers with Ninite Pro, so the 20-30 stake computers doesn't really cost me anything directly.
I believe the policy is that all software on a church computer must be licensed to the church. Otherwise, in the event of an independent audit, it's likely to show "unlicensed" software on the computers.
The Ninite application can include various browsers, Libre Office etc. These are recommended apps approved by the Church. Therefore wouldn’t fail an independent audit.

All the Ninite application does, is facilitate a simplified installation process, which also avoids accidentally installing unwanted items!

Which, in the past, when I’ve had to reimage 15 Clerk computers, saved a considerable amount of time and also ensures that the latest version of the applications are installed! Although to be fair Clonzilla (Recommended in the past by someone contributing to this post :D ) did considerably speed that process up!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Biggles wrote:The Ninite application can include various browsers, Libre Office etc. These are recommended apps approved by the Church. Therefore wouldn’t fail an independent audit.
I'm referring to the Ninite application itself. It appears to me that to make it work, you have to installed the Ninite Agent. Since it's "chargeware", I'd imagine there must be some kind of license involved.

From Other Software and Tools
There is no prohibition against purchasing third-party applications or receiving donations of software, as long as the unit adheres to the license agreements and keeps physical copies of the license certificates in the clerk’s office. In the case of donated software, the donor must provide the software license certificate and confirmation that they have either uninstalled the software from or have never installed it on other computers.
I understand that to mean that the church must possess the license. Donations are acceptable, but there must be a transfer of "ownership".

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”