Home server blocked by filter - what can I do?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
jensend7

Re: Home server blocked by filter - what can I do?

Post by jensend7 »

Thought I should finish the story of what happened here. I informed a whole bunch of filtering companies (malwarebytes, mcafee, norton, kaspersky, I think at least one other) about the false positive, and they all quickly reviewed it and unblocked the DDNS domain. Zscaler, which provides the Church's filtering, also unblocked it but it took a week and several emails back-and-forth with their tech support.

zscaler seemed somewhat dependent on other companies' categorization decisions and less ready to bother looking into things themselves. So if others have a similar issue it may pay to
1. use something like virustotal to find which filters have miscategorized your site
2. report the false positive to any prominent security firms blocking it, and wait for their (rapid) response
3. contact Zscaler about the false positive, tell them 'X, Y, and Z unblocked this, you should too.'

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”