New DNS Filtering Policy

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
johnshaw

Re: New DNS Filtering Policy

Post by johnshaw »

I do not envy the church network team the chasing around of issues to make sure Meetinghouse Internet is used appropriately - But, I have argued before, and will continue to argue, to a certain extend having the Internet is like having running water, or heating and cooling in our meetinghouses. It enables life as we know it in these days and times. When I saw what was blocked the first thing that came to mind is that we all need a very large lesson in Millennial culture and youth/teen culture - or how they live their lives in today's world (the developed world anyway). We didn't block facebook but blocked snapchat and instagram - to ME this unduly punishes kids over adults.. by saying facebook is ok, we're basically saying well, the social media that adults use is OK in our meetinghouse, but the social media our kids use is not... yes, I'm generalizing a bit...

It's taking YEARS to develop a system of content distribution (with NO end in site at this point if the last Tech Conference is any indication) to reduce the pain of streaming in the meeting house, no amount of reducing services availabel inside the church will EVER result in good streaming in the meetinghouse until the streaming is localized inside the network, until it is LAN streaming. But we can decide to turn off services and unilaterally make that decision, without even informing those of us who, frankly, take the brunt of the complaints and have to figure out how to work around issues.

Fix the Content Distribution problem. Make the Media Library Services available inside our meetinghouses, and this discussion goes away....
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:
charly3358 wrote:Ok, I'll let them know that. I haven't read the terms. I suppose they will use pendrives with their own music.
Which, BTW, is also questionable
That may be. It's more along the lines of what youth and singles have been doing for eons. But at least they aren't asking for a change to the network to do something that's easily shown as wrong.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ccordoba24

Post by ccordoba24 »

russellhltn wrote:Besides, I don't think it's a good idea to run a dance via a streaming service anyway. All it would take is someone passing around the latest video and it could affect the music.
They only use audio, the free version of spotify only gives you audio.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

charly3358 wrote:
russellhltn wrote:Besides, I don't think it's a good idea to run a dance via a streaming service anyway. All it would take is someone passing around the latest video and it could affect the music.
I think you missed my point. If attendees do something to sap the bandwidth (such as showing a video on their phones), a streaming audio service could be affected.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
crolse

Post by crolse »

While interesting and informative, this thread has quickly spun off topic.

If you'd like to continue discussing the viability of using Spotify or pandora or DRM downloaded files at church dances, or converse about the legality and terms of service for streaming platforms and the like, please create a new thread.
ccordoba24

Post by ccordoba24 »

russellhltn wrote:
charly3358 wrote:
I think you missed my point. If attendees do something to sap the bandwidth (such as showing a video on their phones), a streaming audio service could be affected.

Yeah, I did miss the point :shock: probably read it too quickly.......
ccordoba24

Post by ccordoba24 »

crolse wrote:While interesting and informative, this thread has quickly spun off topic.

If you'd like to continue discussing the viability of using Spotify or pandora or DRM downloaded files at church dances, or converse about the legality and terms of service for streaming platforms and the like, please create a new thread.

Aye aye, sir ;)
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Can someone from the Network team return on report on this item? I don't really see an affect on bandwidth on my firewall usage statistics over the last two weeks, and a couple have increased.
How about other STS, have you checked your firewalls to see if the affects your overall bandwidth usage?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnshaw wrote:How about other STS, have you checked your firewalls to see if the affects your overall bandwidth usage?
A quick eyeball of the different buildings doesn't show any change - except in one building after an outage. I think I need to reset that modem.

jamiep39

Post by jamiep39 »

johnshaw wrote:How about other STS, have you checked your firewalls to see if the affects your overall bandwidth usage?
We haven't had any noticeable changes in bandwidth usage.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”