Setting static IP

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Setting static IP

Post by russellhltn »

jbean86 wrote:but there are two major drawbacks
I'll add one more that may or may not be an issue: If the desired DNS changes, you'll have to change it manually. This is particularly true if you're using the ISP's DNS, or if the church filtering changes such that you need to use a church DNS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

From a command line run ipconfig/all and post all of the results.
mbthomas

Post by mbthomas »

aclawson wrote:From a command line run ipconfig/all and post all of the results.
With DHCP set I get the following:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LU-75868
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-B9-74-82-EE
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, March 17, 2013 4:02:58 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 18, 2013 4:02:58 PM

With a static IP I get the following:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : LU-75868
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-B9-74-82-EE
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.137.192.196
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.192
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.137.192.193
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8

I know this particular IP is not used by another computer. With the DHCP address I can also leave DNS at 8.8.8.8 and 4.2.2.2 and it will still work. This does not work regardless of what static IP I assign.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The problem is your static IP is outside of the subnet of the gateway. Can't do that. You need to find what static IPs are available in your subnet and use that. From what you've posted, that's going to be somewhere in the range of 10.137.192.194-254 (although there may be another subnet assigned to that firewall.)

The IP address of 10.0.0.5 can't contact that gateway because it's in a different subnet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

The subnet masks and gateways aren't the same - that's the first thing I'd check.

Your DHCP is serving up 255.255.255.0 and your static is configured as 255.255.255.192. The DHCP gateway is 10.0.0.1 and your static gateway is 10.137.192.193
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

He beat me to the submit button.

Also, check out tm.lds.org - when you configure a static IP make sure you are within the range specified there.
sj3vans

Post by sj3vans »

So from what you showed in the IPconfig, it appears you have a second router behind the Church firewall. Perhaps it is setup to provide wireless access. If you are planning on keeping that second router in place, you have no defined static range and you are not limited on the number of mobile devices connected behind it since you can add more yourself. However, when I talked to HQ, they discouraged me from using that configuration because it blocks them from being able to see actual hosts on the network. All the computers who are getting a 10.0.0.x address are all behind a single NAT'd IP address that the church sees; much like in your home. In other words, all of the hosts in your building appear to be using the single IP addressed issued to the second router.

In our buildings, we're moving to the new 881 firewall which includes wireless. We then sometimes add a seconds wireless access point if needed. Then, everyone is getting an IP address from the 881 and the church is able to see all of those hosts remotely if desired. If we run low on IP addresses, I call them and they expand the range. Once you are no longer using the second router, then you can use the static IP addresses they have assigned.

Alternatively, you could run your network cables for your computers to a switch that is not behind the second router. They could then use the IP address in the static range.

Sorry for the ramble and I hope that helps!

Steve
mbthomas

Post by mbthomas »

Not sure how to format this so it's readable, but here's what tm.lds.org has for that firewall. That static I'm using is within the static range given. Given the information from tm.lds.org, am I still using IPs that are incorrect?

SUBNET
MASK
GATEWAY
STATIC RANGE
10.137.192.194 - .202
DHCP RANGE
10.137.192.203 - .254 52

Now that someone mentioned another router in there, I'm beginning to wonder. I'm pretty sure that clerk's office had one previously and I had it removed. I didn't even bother looking for it anymore. I'll have to make a trip over there again and see if it's back.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The problem I see is here:

That's not in the range indicated:
STATIC RANGE
10.137.192.194 - .202

Where is the 10.0.0.5 value coming from? I assume it was the static assignment that wasn't working as no router would assign that IP and the gateway values given.

mbthomas

Post by mbthomas »

russellhltn wrote:The problem I see is here:

That's not in the range indicated:
STATIC RANGE
10.137.192.194 - .202

Where is the 10.0.0.5 value coming from? I assume it was the static assignment that wasn't working as no router would assign that IP and the gateway values given.
Those are the values when using DHCP. The static IP values are the ones at the bottom of that post.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”