Local server for lds.org

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
johnshaw

Re: Local server for lds.org

Post by johnshaw »

aebrown wrote:
JohnShaw wrote:The back-pedaling instructions we have serve us well for a specific circumstance (12-18 year old YM/YW/SS classes) it does not provide answers for all other use cases.
Why are you singling out the youth-oriented videos? Other videos can be downloaded as well. That will benefit teachers of classes for Primary, Gospel Doctrine, Gospel Essentials, MP, RS, etc.
Anyone who has seen my posts KNOWS I have never singled out these classes, in my stake we have downloaded all you mention and have it available to stream in the meetinghouse. I mention the Come, Follow Me videos because that is the current minimalism thinking we have answers to right now (See mobile download solutions for why that is my assumption).
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JohnShaw wrote:Anyone who has seen my posts KNOWS I have never singled out these classes,
I wasn't responding to the entire collection of your posts on LDSTech; I was responding to a post you made where two statements most definitely singled out the youth classes:
  • "the instruction to download a video ahead of time pre-supposes that the only thing a member wants to do on the Internet is play the Come, Follow Me videos" -- that makes no sense to me, since the instruction to download a video ahead of time applies equally to any media, not just the Come, Follow Me videos.
  • "The back-pedaling instructions we have serve us well for a specific circumstance (12-18 year old YM/YW/SS classes) it does not provide answers for all other use cases." -- the instructions to download videos ahead of time most definitely does provide answers for a whole host of use cases unrelated to 12-18 year old classes.
I'm certainly glad that you acknowledge that the instructions to download videos ahead of time will benefit many more people than just teachers of youth. And I certainly agree that you have made other posts that address the much broader need. That's why I found it odd that in that particular post you implied (twice!) that the download instructions applied only to youth classes.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

jdcr256 wrote:I think rather than equipping each building with business class internet connections, the better long-term solution is to find ways to minimize data transfer, and push more computing requirements to the client through native apps and newer browser technology. These types of solutions can both improve the user experience, and save the church money.
This is the right thinking, and serves a world-wide, global church more than you're likely even thinking. Many people in the world view the Internet ONLY through their phones and will never own a personal computer or have a broadband internet in their homes.
I'm not in-the-know on the church's meetinghouse technology plans, but I doubt providing a good broadband experience to all members while at church is in the cards.
I couldn't disagree more with this sentiment however - a minimal investment in technology that is utilized in so many aspects of our service, teaching and training will return to us in greater amounts than the large capital investments the Church has in many areas (which are still considered valuable)... as a single example out of many, think of the sound system in a meetinghouse - this is not provided by an off-the-shelf Radio Shack portable PA system - it is expensive and very nice. The return on that investment is minimal compared to the return on a minimal investment higher broadband speed subscriptions would bring. Tithing dollars go towards many things with very differing rates of return and our own personal opinion of their values differ, that is true.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Well, we did get off into other territory...

One thing you might check is the availability of a better Internet Connection. As long as you tie it to a reasonable reason, rather than just streaming videos, Comcast and Time Warner both have pre-negotiated rates... typically between 10-12 D and 1-2 U.

Many other options have been suggested for providing access to the videos - Burning DVD's flash drives for Western Digital Devices or Roku devices, etc... all are options for you as well.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Getting back to the OP:
Saikia wrote:I am wondering if I can setup a local server and download the entire website and redirect access to website to the server. My questions are:

1. Is this possible to do with http://www.lds.org?
Maybe. We've talked about trying to have a local media server for the videos. I don't think anyone has proposed to cache the entire lds.org before. At a practical level, I don't know as you can cache some content like calendars, etc.

Saikia wrote:Is there any Church policy that might prevent this?
There's nothing I know of that would prevent this. But the details of how it's done could create a problem.

Saikia wrote:2. I am not a server guy, but I have enough IT experience. With a bit of help, I can set this up. Can I get a bit of help what will I need OS/Software wise to set this up?
At this point I don't think anyone has done this.

Saikia wrote:The ones using laptops or android or windows devices, I can ask them to download in advance (and most do already). But the ones using i-pad or i-phone (which there seem to be plenty), the word is that you cannot download - not that I am a i-anything expert (never owned one - I use a windows 8 phone).
I'd refer them to Showing Video in Meetinghouses
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
reyfam

Post by reyfam »

It is wonderful to now have the ability to download the videos on LDS Tools for the iOS Products, however the only Youth video for 2013 is January video on the Godhead. We need the other months also. Any ideas?

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”