Hard wire to pulpit

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
johnshaw

Hard wire to pulpit

Post by johnshaw »

lajackson wrote:The building should have been hardwired to the clerks offices and to somewhere near the chapel pulpit.
Out of curiosity, why would you say this? My FMG has no intention of ever providing this in our stake. Even responding to a request from our SP by saying that the CHURCH prefers wireless and that he will not be adding it to the budget

So I'm wondering why you feel it is something that SHOULD be done when The Church seems to prefer wireless rather than running Ethernet (at least according to my FMG).
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Hard wire to pulpit

Post by aebrown »

JohnShaw wrote:
lajackson wrote:The building should have been hardwired to the clerks offices and to somewhere near the chapel pulpit.
Out of curiosity, why would you say this?
I too think that was overly optimistic. We have older buildings, and no one in the FMG has indicated that providing a hard wire near the chapel pulpit was a standard expectation. I certainly understand that this is done as a matter of course in newer buildings, but I see no indication that there is an effort underway to make sure that all older buildings get such a wire run.

One of our buildings had never been professionally wired for network, and the FM group recently installed an 881W and three 1041N WAPs in that building. At the time, they took advantage of the opportunity and did provide a jack on the stand that is hard wired to the 881W. I was grateful for them doing that (I hadn't even asked). But our stake center (where we would need it the most) still doesn't have anything like that.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JohnShaw wrote:
Out of curiosity, why would you say this? My FMG has no intention of ever providing this in our stake.
I said it because our FM manager told us he was instructed to do this for every building, no matter its age. I do not know the source of his instructions, but I certainly had no objection.

Wireless access points have not yet been installed in any of our buildings, due to budget constraints. We do have Cisco 881Ws in the corner of most our buildings, but their range is short.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

All four buildings in our stake were wired a couple of years ago. However, no hard-line was placed in the chapel. Instead, we have AP's in the four corners of the building that do a fair job of covering most of the building, including the chapel. I will admit that I'd love to have a line dropped near the pulpit, but with the AP's providing WiFi, the need for a line isn't there.
dougj

Post by dougj »

For those with only wireless, I'm curious if all your clerk computers transmit via wireless, also. (I guess they would.)

I checked all four buildings in our stake for wired ethernet to the pulpit. Two are quite old buildings, two or somewhat newer. All had wired ethernet at the pulpit except the stake center. I informed the local FM group and they replied, "We will get that taken care of. They should all be wired at the pulpit." I have heard that in some cases, they had to go thru crawl spaces and attics to get wires to clerk offices and the pulpits. All of our buildings have the cisco 881 router and between two and five access points, depending on the building, plus wired ethernet connections to clerks's offices, library, (family history and stake offices, where applicable), etc.

Also, we just received information from the local FM group that use of wireless should be minimized, especially in regards to teachers streaming video over wifi during classes. They suggested that we ask members to not connect automatically from their mobile devices. They provided the following links:

https://ue.ldschurch.org/ldsapphelp/sho ... oguide.pdf

https://ue.ldschurch.org/ldsapphelp/showing-video/
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

[Moderator Note: I split this topic from the original discussion at CES Fireside over internet instead of satellite, since it deals with a separate topic.]
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

dougj wrote:.... we just received information from the local FM group that use of wireless should be minimized, especially in regards to teachers streaming video over wifi during classes. They suggested that we ask members to not connect automatically from their mobile devices. They provided the following links:

https://ue.ldschurch.org/ldsapphelp/sho ... oguide.pdf
I showed the guide to our local FM Manager who hadn't seen this before. I find it a little unusual that a document such as this would be given such a limited distribution. Normally, this would be given out through Priesthood channels. However, it does offer some helpful information. Thanks for sharing.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Remember when FM gets involved here they are likely getting feedback from Stakes that they need better (more expensive) Internet Connections to support streaming Videos from the Internet. This is not something the FMG is prepared to do, nor is it something that The Church is using as a justification for increasing Internet Speeds.

Anyone out there trying to justify a better Internet connection you better have something other than the Come, Follow Me curriculum in your reasoning.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Returning to the subject of the broken-out thread. How can a stake work with FM to get hardwired connections? What is the proper way of doing it?

I've always thought that the training provided to both FM and STS included hardwiring to permanent locations (Clerk computers, material centers) - But how do we go about the conversation when the FMG group says, "We haven't been told that" Training videos published on https://leader.lds.org are apparently not enough justification to move one side of the conversation along.

I don't know how to have a conversation, point out multiple areas online, in documentation, in training that shows this is the 'standard' practice when the other side of the table is saying... Nuh Uh... no it doesn't.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JohnShaw wrote:Returning to the subject of the broken-out thread. How can a stake work with FM to get hardwired connections? What is the proper way of doing it?
Stake President to FM group. If that fails, then Stake President to Area Authority. Be sure to show documentation provided by church to tech community.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”