WiFi Password

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
dicknielson

Re: WiFi Password

Post by dicknielson »

There are two issues here.

First, i see that the Internet use is a service the church provides. Shutting it down, locking up the passwords are prone to problems. We have two stakes (wards from different stakes) in my building, and for a few years we had three. Coordination on many things is difficult. This could be a headache. Teachers, people in classes all use it at different times through the week. In the end it is there for our wise use.

Second. Shutting it down for conferences so that you have the bandwidth should be the ideal situation. There is a reason for it.

We should nor be making people jump through hoops and causing issues bacause a kid is playing a game in the foyer on Wednesday night. Teach the people to use it wisely, block apps that hog bandwidth, educate the users, and turn it off when you need the bandwidth for a broadcast.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: WiFi Password

Post by russellhltn »

dicknielson wrote:Teach the people to use it wisely,
Good luck with that. First off, there's no tracking by device. So there's no accountability.

Secondly, I imagine that much of the traffic is automatic. Many phones, when they find a wifi service, will switch all traffic from the mobile data package and use the wifi for things like checking emails and social media status. Furthermore, many packages (such as Apple Store, Google Play and even Gospel Library), have an option to wait until they see a wifi service to do their heavy updating to minimize the impact on the owner's data package. Individually, that's not bad. But get a congregation full of users and a building with limited bandwidth, and you'll have problems. Even if no one pulls out their phone at all. And the users are completely unaware. Short of having them turn their phones completely off (not just on silent), I don't know as user education is a practical solution.

Ultimately, I think it's going to come down to filtering. From the looks of TM, there's something in the works, but it's not final yet. If the building's internet is getting clogged, then (with the approval of the stake president), select a more restrictive filtering policy until church services start working again.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”