Home server blocked by filter - what can I do?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
jensend7

Home server blocked by filter - what can I do?

Postby jensend7 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:55 pm

I'm a ward choir director, and I wanted to make recordings, sheet music, etc available to choir members on the web (nobody wants to deal with physical copies of things anymore, sadly). I don't have my own domain name or any nice hosting setup, so I used a freedns subdomain to point people to a home server.

But with recent filter changes, no one can access my page from the meetinghouse and it gives a rather stern blocked url message. Maybe some other subdomain on the same domain name has problematic content? But there's absolutely no link between my subdomain and any other. Maybe the filter is a whitelist and only allows pages it knows how to classify, but then no one can create new webpages and have them accessible, one can only put content on others' established sites.

How can I get this unblocked?

Are we really headed for a future where the only accessible web pages are ones run by a handful of large companies because nobody wants to risk allowing links to sites they don't know?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Home server blocked by filter - what can I do?

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:42 pm

The church relies on a commercial filtering system. It may be Websense, now called Forcepoint.

I'd suggest researching what it takes to get your website classified. By in large, I think most individuals use something like Dropbox , gdrive, Onedrive, etc. You may want to check if any of them are accessible via though the meetinghouse WiFi.

The idea of the church allowing access to all unclassified/unranked websites is a non-starter.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

jensend7

Postby jensend7 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:38 am

Dropbox, google drive, etc will host a file but not a website. Having a simple handcoded page for each song and using the <audio> element allows people to choose an individual part (SATB etc) to listen to while looking at lyrics &c.

I'm quite certain people were able to access my page from church wifi just a few weeks ago, so I struggle to understand why it's a non-starter now.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:40 pm

jensend7 wrote:I'm quite certain people were able to access my page from church wifi just a few weeks ago, so I struggle to understand why it's a non-starter now.

Allowing access to unclassified sites is an enormous loophole. For example, a home computer could be used as a way to bypass church filters entirely. So, in addition to blocking unclassified, it's quite possible that all IPs known to belong to "home" systems are blocked.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”