Setting static IP

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Setting static IP

Post by russellhltn »

mbthomas wrote:Those are the values when using DHCP. The static IP values are the ones at the bottom of that post.
Sorry, I didn't see there were two different listing.

You've got another router in the system. When you're assigning the static IP, it's an IP that's outside of the range of that secondary router you're connected to.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

mbthomas wrote:Those are the values when using DHCP. The static IP values are the ones at the bottom of that post.
Like Russell said, it's pretty obvious you have another active router creating a subnet that your PC's are currently in. To assign a static IP address, you would have to pick one in the 10.0.0.x range. However, without having control over that router, or knowing the DHCP range it's giving out, it would be very difficult to assign a static IP and be 100% certain it won't collide with one the 2nd router may issue.

I have 2 suggestions. First, try logging into the 2nd router by pointing your browser to http://10.0.0.1 and see what happens. If you can get any clue as to the make or model, try Googling for the default password. You might get lucky. You can also use a program such as Fing, to try and extract make/model information from whatever is at 10.0.0.1.

Second, hunt down and find that router and take it offline.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mbthomas

Post by mbthomas »

russellhltn wrote:You've got another router in the system.
That was it! Didn't notice it before because it was down on the floor behind stuff. Took it out and was able to use the static IP that I wanted. Thanks for helping me out on that one!
tomjh

Post by tomjh »

russellhltn wrote:To successfully use static IP, you need the following: IP, Subnet, Gateway IP address, and DNS IP address. Miss or enter wrong values for any one of those and it won't work.
What are the settings I don't see them here.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tomjh wrote:
russellhltn wrote:To successfully use static IP, you need the following: IP, Subnet, Gateway IP address, and DNS IP address. Miss or enter wrong values for any one of those and it won't work.
What are the settings I don't see them here.
Those would have to be set on the client that you're trying to make static. If you're talking about a Windows machine, that would be a property of "Internet Protocol Version 4" of the adapter under networking.

If you're talking about a printer, it would be somewhere under the network setup.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”