How much bandwidth

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
michaelcox

How much bandwidth

Postby michaelcox » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:16 pm

How much bandwidth do you all have in your meetinghouses?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How much bandwidth

Postby russellhltn » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:27 pm

Depends on what building you're talking about. Some buildings can only get certain types of service. I have one on a 4G wireless system and one on 3Mbit DSL system. (Although, I think that could be pushed to 5 if FM wanted to.) Neither of these are located in remote areas. The one with 4G is surrounded by a residential fiber system, but the phone company won't allow us to put the church building on it. And the wired phone connection is too far away for DSL. The conduits are too clogged to get cable.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

harddrive

Postby harddrive » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:18 pm

I don't know what the standard is that the church is doing, but at my stake center we have just switched to coax and it is 16 megs down and 3 up and this is from a fiber connection that was 25 megs down and up.

The rest of my buildings have Comcast in them and I would assume that they are 16 down and 3 up, but one building had a different provider because Comcast isn't available there.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Postby Mikerowaved » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:49 pm

I believe the FM groups try to get as much bandwidth for x amount of dollars. (No, I don't know what "x" is.) Because of this, they have to carefully look at each building and try to determine the best ISP and data rate that will meet their budget guidelines. Our 3 buildings used to be like this:

Stake Center - 45/7 through Comcast (Used to be DSL, but switched when a FHL was put in.)
Ward Building 1 - 7/1 through Centurylink DSL
Ward Building 2 - 1.5/300K through Centurylink DSL

The 2 ward buildings rarely got the above numbers, in fact, building 2 was lucky to get 300K-400K DL at any given time. Centurylink said that was the best they could offer. Comcast was in the neighborhood of our 2 ward buildings, but the FM group determined it was too expensive for Comcast to trench wires to the ward buildings. (It was many thousands of dollars for each site.)

We were fortunate to have UTOPIA in the area and a member of our stake presidency with a little pull; so a few years ago, all 3 buildings were upgraded to 100/100 fiber connections. What's funny is the monthly cost is probably not much more than what we were paying before.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”