Alternate place to buy paper sacrament cups?

Use this forum to discuss issues that are not found in any of the other clerk and stake technology specialist forums.
jtjacks
New Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:08 am

Re: Alternate place to buy paper sacrament cups?

Postby jtjacks » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:25 pm

I believe you can just use 1/2 oz paper portion cups. From my 30 seconds of research, I see a case of 5000 paper cups for $28 @webstaurantstore, $41 on amazon, $35@costco business (I am not endorsing any of these businesses - just what came up at the top of the search).

neilsood
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:43 am

Re: Alternate place to buy paper sacrament cups?

Postby neilsood » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:33 am

fletch74 wrote:UNEXPECTED RESOLUTION: I just saw paper cups are already available, again, via store.lds.org. So much for that possibly-unavailable-through-the-end-of-the-year timeline . . .

Also, as a gee whiz item, the Church definitely seems to get a good deal, as we get 250 cups for around $3.1 compared with above $5 on Amazon (for 1/2, 3/4, or 1 oz cups). Hurray for volume discounts!

Looks like they are gone again. Only options are plastic and plastic.

User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 3776
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: Alternate place to buy paper sacrament cups?

Postby sbradshaw » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:39 pm

jtjacks wrote:I believe you can just use 1/2 oz paper portion cups. From my 30 seconds of research, I see a case of 5000 paper cups for $28 @webstaurantstore, $41 on amazon, $35@costco business (I am not endorsing any of these businesses - just what came up at the top of the search).

Would they fit in the holes on the sacrament tray? Most of the cups I've seen online are short and wide.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

ldsmexlife
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: Alternate place to buy paper sacrament cups?

Postby ldsmexlife » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:53 pm

I served the Sacrament this Sunday at an elderly home here in Utah and noticed the hard time that the elderly were having in picking up the small cups. Are there any sacrament cups that anyone knows about that have extra grip for easier access? I sympathized with some of the elderly who would sometimes spill the cups on themselves, in embarrassment.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 24053
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Alternate place to buy paper sacrament cups?

Postby russellhltn » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:40 pm

ldsmexlife wrote:I served the Sacrament this Sunday at an elderly home here in Utah and noticed the hard time that the elderly were having in picking up the small cups. Are there any sacrament cups that anyone knows about that have extra grip for easier access? I sympathized with some of the elderly who would sometimes spill the cups on themselves, in embarrassment.

Were you using paper or plastic? I'd think the paper ones would be easier to hold, but perhaps too easy to crush. A bit more expensive ($82.75 for 6500 or 1.3¢ per cup), but I'd it might be the only option while sticking to "church standard practice".
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

jtjacks
New Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:08 am

Re: Alternate place to buy paper sacrament cups?

Postby jtjacks » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:23 pm

I don't know of a place to get disposable cups with better grip.

We have taken the sacrament to several shut ins and we often don't use disposable cups because of the difficulty some elderly members have picking them up. We use some small glasses that we wash between uses (one ounce sherry or cordial glasses I bought for a dollar at a restaurant supply store, as I recall). Because they have stems, they are much easier for people with limited hand grip strength to pick up. If you don't like the stemmed type, they also make tapered glasses that are fairly easy to grasp.

My own parents had to receive the sacrament at home (in Utah) for their last few years. They kept a pair of similar glasses and a small plate on hand that the young men could use when they came to administer the sacrament. That way the young men didn't have to bring anything with them but their priesthood.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 24053
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Alternate place to buy paper sacrament cups?

Postby russellhltn » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:30 pm

jtjacks wrote:My own parents had to receive the sacrament at home (in Utah) for their last few years. They kept a pair of similar glasses and a small plate on hand that the young men could use when they came to administer the sacrament. That way the young men didn't have to bring anything with them but their priesthood.

Even better, they didn't have to make sure they got cleaned between each use.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

mp12
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:09 am

Re: Alternate place to buy paper sacrament cups?

Postby mp12 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:11 am

I need to understand why the church is still producing PLASTIC ANYTHING when plastic pollution is killing our planet. Surely we should be leading the way as a very responsible consumer and go right back to WASHABLE sacrament cups?????? Please advise me where we can carry this initiative forward?

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 7687
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Re: Alternate place to buy paper sacrament cups?

Postby lajackson » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:41 am

mp12 wrote:Please advise me where we can carry this initiative forward?

Your stake president will be able to forward your suggestion through priesthood channels to those who make these types of decisions.

jtjacks
New Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:08 am

Re: Alternate place to buy paper sacrament cups?

Postby jtjacks » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:39 pm

mp12 wrote:I need to understand why the church is still producing PLASTIC ANYTHING when plastic pollution is killing our planet. Surely we should be leading the way as a very responsible consumer and go right back to WASHABLE sacrament cups?????? Please advise me where we can carry this initiative forward?


The church went away from reusable cups for hygiene and safety reasons. If you feel strongly about the use of plastic, paper is a renewable resource - so maybe advocating paper over plastic would be appropriate. However, I don't think we are likely to see a return to reusable cups. Procuring and managing that many glass (metal?) cups could be a challenge, and I personally wouldn't be comfortable trusting the health of ward members to the dish washing abilities of (most of) our teachers quorum members (I have been camping with too many of them...). We have a hard enough time getting them to keep the trays clean (mold free).

I also think this should be considered in perspective. Consider all the plastic that gets used in the typical building in the US: Plastic carpet, plastic upholstery in the chapel and relief society room, plastic-based paints on the walls, plastic gym floor finish (renewed yearly), plastic bound scriptures, plastic cups, utensils, table covers at activities, the list goes on and on. There are non-plastic substitutes for many of those things, but they can be horrendously expensive (check the price of wool carpet and upholstery). It is a matter of practicality and affordability - as are many things in our modern world. I absolutely agree we need to be good environmental stewards, but it seems odd to me to focus on singling out such a tiny use of plastic.

One other thought - if you feel strongly about the use of plastic cups in your ward, talk with your young men's president about having the teachers set the used cups aside for you so you can take them for recycling. We had one brother in our ward who did that for many years.

Please let us know how your conversation with your stake president goes.


Return to “General Clerk Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests