Xerox Phaser 3250 doesn't collate

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
bpisaacs

Xerox Phaser 3250 doesn't collate

Post by bpisaacs »

Our HP printer stopped working and was replaced with a Xerox Phaser 3250. I cannot get this printer to collate and the response I got from Xerox support was that this printer does not support collating. Can this be true? Does everyone who has a Xerox 3250 have this problem?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Xerox 3250 is the new "standard" printer supplied to units. I would assume Xerox support would know better than any of us what the printer supports.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

When you say "collate" what exactly are you expecting?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I just checked on-line about this printer. It is a model suited for SOHO and does not have collating. I has simple pass-through printing.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
bpisaacs

Post by bpisaacs »

I am surprised the Church would select a "standard" printer that doesn't collate. I often have to print multiple copies of reports (directories for example) and if the printer doesn't collate them, then I have to do it manually after printing. I suppose a way around this would be to print one copy at a time rather than multiple copies. That takes more time and you have to keep track of how many times you have printed. But it would still be faster than having to hand collate multiple copies.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

jdlessley wrote:I just checked on-line about this printer. It is a model suited for SOHO and does not have collating. I has simple pass-through printing.
True, it doesn't have hardware collating, but almost any Windows printer driver will support "software" collating, where, for example, you want 2 copies of a 3 page document, it will print as 123123, instead of 112233.

If you have the collating box checked and it gives you that error, then that's indicating a driver issue. I would remove the current driver, the HP driver, and any other printer driver you aren't using, then reinstall just the Xerox driver. I've installed and used this printer several times and have never seen the error you reported.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bpisaacs

Post by bpisaacs »

Thanks Mikerowaved. That was my understanding also - if the driver has a check box for collating, it should support "software" collating. I will try your suggestion to reinstall the driver. How do I make sure all other printer drivers are removed?

By the way, it doesn't give me an error. It prints OK, but copies come out uncollated even thought the collate box is checked.
DuncanJD

Issue with MLS and Collating on Xerox 3250

Post by DuncanJD »

Having updated drivers, firmware, and even java [which is what MLS prints through], I have run a test doc from Word 2007. The Xerox 3250 collates the document seamlessly. The issue lies in either MLS or in the interfacing with Oracle. Of note- printing queue does not show MLS job.

Again, this is has nothing to do with the printer, as I can collate from other programs. MLS developers need to make this work.
DuncanJD

Post by DuncanJD »

See my post below. Basically says this issue is MLS-based. Need them to have a look.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

duncanjd wrote:Having updated drivers, firmware, and even java [which is what MLS prints through], I have run a test doc from Word 2007. The Xerox 3250 collates the document seamlessly. The issue lies in either MLS or in the interfacing with Oracle. Of note- printing queue does not show MLS job.
Again, this is has nothing to do with the printer, as I can collate from other programs. MLS developers need to make this work.
Does it collate if you print from MLS to a virtual printer? How about to another physical printer?
I wonder if this is a general MLS thing, a MLS-Xerox thing or some weird thing on just your computer?

Aaron Z

Return to “Clerk Computers”