Remote support/control software

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

JohnShaw wrote:harddrive, did he differentiate between FHC and clerk computers?

No he did not. I assume that it was for all computers.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Because of this thread, I re-opened my previous case with FamilySearch, they re-affirmed my ability as the STS to connect from my personal laptop to a computer in the FHC using Teamviewer. I must assume that the License is based on the 'receiving' station, with any number of users able to connect to the computer to remote control it. I haven't examined the licensing myself, however. Either I've had 2 different FamilySearch cases state the situation to me erroneously (a possibility I grant), or Teamviewer is acceptable for an STS to remote control a computer in a FHC.

This, however, does not include the Clerk computer.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JohnShaw wrote:Because of this thread, I re-opened my previous case with FamilySearch, they re-affirmed my ability as the STS to connect from my personal laptop to a computer in the FHC using Teamviewer. I must assume that the License is based on the 'receiving' station, with any number of users able to connect to the computer to remote control it. I haven't examined the licensing myself, however. Either I've had 2 different FamilySearch cases state the situation to me erroneously (a possibility I grant), or Teamviewer is acceptable for an STS to remote control a computer in a FHC.

This, however, does not include the Clerk computer.
Whatever sjager may have said cannot possibly apply to FHC computers. He is not connected to a department that has any responsibility in that area. So those in this thread who have assumed that anything said by the ICS Desktop team would apply to FHC computers are making an assumption that is not justified. The Family History department (which controls FHC computers) makes TeamViewer available on their website for use in FHCs and we have heard from multiple sources that this is authorized. ICS (which controls clerk computers) has specifically said that TeamViewer is not authorized for clerk computers. It seems to me that both statements are very clear and each STS has to keep the separate rules clear for the different sets of computers he manages.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Clerk Computers”