Sophos Update Failed

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
kcushing-p40

Sophos Update Failed

Post by kcushing-p40 »

I currently have a red X on sohpos. A "mouse over" shows "sophos protection update has failed". Right clicking and selecting "Update Now" causes a window to show that states "Downloading Package 1 of 4...2 of 4...3 of 4...4 of 4" then it shows "Intalling Package 1 of 1" then it just quits. A look at the log file shows:

Installation of RMSNT skipped
Installing Product SAVXP
:confused: The manifest file for product SAVXP was invalid :confused:
Installation of Sophos Client Firewall skipped
Installation of Sophos AutoUpdate skipped
AutoUpdate finished

If I repeat the "Update Now", the same thing happens again. Rebooting does not help. Any ideas?

Thanks
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Clear the temp directory (delete all the files %temp%) and do the update again. Sometimes a file that is downloaded is corrupt which then plays havoc with the install.

If that fails you may have to do a clean install of Sophos. That would involve uninstalling Sophos (both the firewall and the anti-virus), downloading the installer from the MLS site, and then installing that. Once the install is complete update it using the "Update Now".

I doubt that you will have to do a clean install. Clearing the temp directory generally solves most update issues.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sgoodmansen

Post by sgoodmansen »

jdlessley wrote:Clear the temp directory (delete all the files %temp%) and do the update again. Sometimes a file that is downloaded is corrupt which then plays havoc with the install.

If that fails you may have to do a clean install of Sophos. That would involve uninstalling Sophos (both the firewall and the anti-virus), downloading the installer from the MLS site, and then installing that. Once the install is complete update it using the "Update Now".

I doubt that you will have to do a clean install. Clearing the temp directory generally solves most update issues.

Thanks, I found this solution by searching the forum and your solution worked perfectly. I only wished I'd searched earlier and saved myself an hour of messing around.
mkeamo

Re: Sophos Update Failed

Post by mkeamo »

I am having a similar error only I am getting Installing of product Sophos Client Firewall failed, instead of skipped. I tried to clear out the temp files and reinstalling Sophos and getting the same error. Does anyone have any ideas of what to do next? I am on a computer that is running Windows 10.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkeamo wrote:I am having a similar error only I am getting Installing of product Sophos Client Firewall failed, instead of skipped. I tried to clear out the temp files and reinstalling Sophos and getting the same error. Does anyone have any ideas of what to do next? I am on a computer that is running Windows 10.
Silly question, but have you re-downloaded Sophos from the support site? If you're using one you previously downloaded, it might be an older version that doesn't handle Win10 as well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkeamo

Post by mkeamo »

Yeah I redownloaded it. It didn't give me an option between 32 and 64 bit and this machine is 64 bit. I'm not sure if there is a different version somewhere else.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

ERROR: Download of SAVXP failed from server http://LDSSR4C.ldschurch.org/Sophosupda ... /savscfxp/

I called the GSC, and they instructed me to download Sophos and reinstall over the top of the existing installation. The reinstall looked good, and after a reboot, the next update downloaded all 7 packages. Everything looked great until I tried another update, and got the same error. I'll just wait another week and call the GSC again.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I returned to the clerk's office this afternoon, and found Sophos was still failing to update. I looked in the IBM BigFix and found a Sophos repair app, so I ran it. Things didn't look any better, so I called the GSC again. They had me verify that Defender and Windows Firewall were disabled, and then reboot. Things started looking up, as Sophos was again able to download and install updates.
One working theory is that the DSL modem may be disconnecting during idle periods, when no one is in the meetinghouse. The computer's power settings are to turn off the display only, but never put the computer to sleep. Sophos tries to check for updates every hour of every day. If the DSL modem has disconnected, the check for updates fails.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:The computer's power settings are to turn off the display only, but never put the computer to sleep.
You might want to consider changing the computer to hibernate after an extended period of inactivity.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”