New Security Software

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Just went through this process for 7 computers. My first advice - BE PATIENT! You will be prompted to restart the computer once the unistall/install is completed. If you haven't seen that yet, DON'T RESTART! The first computer I tried it on I thought it was done but the Symantec icons were still showing in the system tray so I restarted. Big mistake. It ended up only partially uninstalling Symantec, but couldn't install Sophos ("another sopftware program couldn't be uninstalled" error). It's taken me about 2 hours to finally fix that error.

On a 256 Mb, XP pro Dell Optiplex, it took about 5-10 minutes to get the prompt to restart. After the restart, though, Sophos is still updating. I'm not exactly sure when that process is over, but when it is, mousing over the shield in the system tray will tell you when the last update was.

After the restart, however, I got this error:

LDIScn32.exe - Unable to locate component
This application has failed to start because loc32vc0.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

That issue was resolved by following the link in RussellHltn's post above:
RussellHltn wrote:No, run the Sophos first. Link
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wpierson wrote:I had some problems with the install of Sophos on our Ward computer, and here is what I found.

When running the install software from the mls website i received an error, after about 5 minutes of waiting "Cancelled Sophos installation because existing third party security software could not be uninstalled.".
I had the same problem on one computer. But I followed Techgy's advice and it went smooth after that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gpetersen-p40

Sophos won't install

Post by gpetersen-p40 »

Has anyone experienced a situation where Sophos will not install? It initially failed with an error message saying it couldn't uninstall Symantic. At this point, I discovered that the Symantic that had been loaded on the admin computer was some purchased software installed by a prior STS. Even though I installed (or at least thought I installed) the Symantic AV from the Church's website, I guess it never really installed. I never received any errors indicating that though. At any rate, I manually uninstalled the Symantic program through Windows Add/Remove programs, rebooted and tried several times to install Sophos and it will not install. I had no problems on any of the other admin computers I updated. Any ideas?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Symantec is notorious for their products not uninstalling or leaving behind files and registry keys that create issues for other security programs. If you know what Symantec product (not the Church licensed Symantec Security Suite) was previously installed you can go to Symantec's support site for instructions and uninstall utilities. It is important to know what product that was installed to get the correct utility.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
gpetersen-p40

Post by gpetersen-p40 »

jdlessley wrote:If you know what Symantec product (not the Church licensed Symantec Security Suite) was previously installed you can go to Symantec's support site for instructions and uninstall utilities.
I have the original retail box but since I have already uninstalled it from the computer I don't know how far up the upgade path the installed program was. Your suggestion will at least give me a starting point. Thanks for your quick response.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I've been through this before and find that the removal utilities from Symantec generally work well in getting rid of the little tidbits that get left behind.

As a starting point you can try HERE.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
freedom55

Post by freedom55 »

I've been able install the anti-virus tool and now have Sophos running fine, but the Computer Management Software Installer doesn't seem to do anything. Is it running in the background without any indication? Should I be seeing something in the task manager?

What has your experience been?

Thanks for your comments.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Freedom55 wrote:I've been able install the anti-virus tool and now have Sophos running fine, but the Computer Management Software Installer doesn't seem to do anything. Is it running in the background without any indication? Should I be seeing something in the task manager?
As described in the wiki article Local Unit Security Suite, this is a silent installation. But that article describes how to tell when it is done.
freedom55

Post by freedom55 »

Thanks very much, Alan. I'm not used to software that doesn't give any indication that it's running.

I appreciate your time.
jbuhl68

Post by jbuhl68 »

I tried to install Sophos recently. When I did, a screen message said that a dll file couldn't be located. Anyone know what is meant by that and what I can do to remedy it? Right now, I have Sophos installed but there is a red X on the program icon.

Return to “Clerk Computers”