Windows 7 check for updates fails

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
Jacob.Turley

Windows 7 check for updates fails

Post by Jacob.Turley »

Hey everyone!

I’m the STS for my stake and I have a computer that says it needs a windows update(last update was April of 2014). However, when I click the “check for updates” it just displays an error message and code “80072F8F”. I’ve tried all the google solutions and nothing seems to be working... anybody else run into this or have any ideas?
Sfc scannow returns good and sophos doesn’t sense any problems.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Windows 7 check for updates fails

Post by russellhltn »

The first thing I'd do is check the build date of the machine. FM is supposed to be replacing computers on a 5 year cycle. A machine that's still running WIn7 could well be beyond that. If it's broken and insecure, all the more reason to replace it.

Computer Replacement Cycle.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Jacob.Turley

Post by Jacob.Turley »

Yeah I had checked the bios date and it was April 2015, so technically a year more...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Jacob.Turley wrote:Yeah I had checked the bios date and it was April 2015, so technically a year more...
Which date did you check? The BIOS itself could have been updated since the computer was built. That's why I look for the serial number sticker. The build date is usually there.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”