New M700 computers failing to boot

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
thedqs
Community Moderators

New M700 computers failing to boot

Post by thedqs »

Has anyone else had a recent rash of blue screens with inaccessible boot device on the clerk computers (the tiny m700s)? I thought it happening once was just a failed upgrade but half of the clerk computers in the stake have now run into this problem. (Luckily there is still at least one working computer per building and they can share with a temp unit MLS.

David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New M700 computers failing to boot

Post by russellhltn »

Silly question - sure there isn't a USB drive or CD in the unit? That's given me a moment of aggravation in the past.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

There is no CD drive on these tiny units. And the only USB devices are the keyboard and mouse. :(
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I would pop it open and make sure the SATA cables are snug on both ends.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Cables are snug, and the drive is accessible when I boot into the recovery command line. And Windows does start the boot but it fails when it starts loading the drivers.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

Mine is only a datapoint of one, but our ward's M700 is still working.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:Cables are snug, and the drive is accessible when I boot into the recovery command line. And Windows does start the boot but it fails when it starts loading the drivers.
Are you able to boot in safe mode? I know I've had trouble in the past on older models when something driver related got corrupted.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Apparently according the HQ this is a major issue and just requires a reset. Here is the email from HQ

Brother Springgay,

I am sorry you are having this problem and yes there have been several other units that have had this same problem since a Windows update came out.
Solution:
1. Please select Advanced Options, select Troubleshoot, select Reset this PC and finally select Keep my files (keeps personal files, spreadsheets, pics, documents but will delete all applications).
2. You will need to download to USB the Windows 10 1607.693 Full Provisioning Tool from: http://liveupdate.ldschurch.org/BigFix
3. The process of resetting the desktop can take up to 45 minutes.
4. After logging into Windows 10 run the provisioning tool.

If you have any questions feel free to give us a call at 1-855-537-4357.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Effectively re-installing Windows.

Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

thedqs wrote:2. You will need to download to USB the Windows 10 1607.693 Full Provisioning Tool from: http://liveupdate.ldschurch.org/BigFix
3. The process of resetting the desktop can take up to 45 minutes.
Just the process of downloading the 3.7GB provisioning tool will take at least 30 minutes, thanks to a 2MB/s DL cap from the church server. Kind of frustrating when you're capable of DL'ing at MUCH faster speeds.

Return to “Clerk Computers”