Computer changes for LCR

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Computer changes for LCR

Post by sbradshaw »

[Moderator note: This discussion was split out from the Budgets topic, since it deals with a separate issue.]

When everything's online, I wonder if the church will switch to a simpler, cheaper computer for clerks' offices – like Chromebooks or something.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mevans

Re: Computer changes for LCR

Post by mevans »

sbradshaw wrote:When everything's online, I wonder if the church will switch to a simpler, cheaper computer for clerks' offices – like Chromebooks or something.
I think they could do that now if they wanted to. If I remember correctly, years ago when they went from DOS to Windows they wrote everything in Java to be cross-platform so they could support other operating systems if they needed to. I have no idea if they've ever tried running the systems on Linux or a Mac or if it was just a nice idea at the time. Even though Linux is free, there are probably more members familiar with Windows so it's probably better for now.

But, you bring a good point. I was browsing HP's web site a while back and saw the Chromebox and the Stream Mini Desktop (which runs Windows). These appear to be little Roku-sized devices and are pretty inexpensive. If everything's on the web, one of those solutions could be pretty inexpensive and I think it would work better than a chromebook, as you can have a full-sized keyboard (with a numeric keypad) and a bigger monitor.

I've thought about trying out things like that for my children and some of the school and fun web sites they go to. They're not too expensive.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

mevans wrote:I've thought about trying out things like that for my children and some of the school and fun web sites they go to. They're not too expensive.
If all you want them to do is basically browse the internet for entertainment, a Chromebook will do. I don't know about other solutions. But if you want them to learn how to be productive on a computer, whether it be through basic word processing and spreadsheets, or creative image/video/print design, or web design and computer programming, an internet-based computer will not get them very far. I've been confined basically to a web browser the last week or so due to computer problems and for me it has been frustrating and woefully inadequate. What can be done online is getting better, but I don't think we're quite there yet.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:I have no idea if they've ever tried running the systems on Linux or a Mac or if it was just a nice idea at the time. Even though Linux is free, there are probably more members familiar with Windows so it's probably better for now.
One of the issues they ran into looking at Linux is that you couldn't get a Tier-1 provider to sell you a computer that didn't have the cost of a Windows license bundled into it. That's just how MS wrote the contracts. So there was no cost savings. That, along with the local support issue likely ended that.

But yeah, a Chromebox would be an interesting idea. And it looks like you can still run LibreOffice on a Chromebook/box: Link.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

We are receiving new administrative computers for clerks offices that are 7.04" x 7.16" x 1.35". You can't put the monitor on top any longer.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

But the Lenovo Tiny does have a built-in wireless adapter! I was so curious about the Tiny that I just had to open it to see how they packed everything inside.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
mevans

Post by mevans »

We've just switched to this form factor (although a different manufacturer) at work for our computers...even for software developers. They can cram some pretty good specs in the small boxes. The dev team members who have them seem to be happy so far.

Return to “Clerk Computers”