Configure New Clerk Computers?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
natet

Re: Configure New Clerk Computers?

Post by natet »

Mikerowaved wrote: Yep, that used to be the case. I'm currently going through the process of setting up 8 new Lenovo PC's for our stake and I can verify the church's initialization script asks early on for the unit number. When it finishes, a new user is created called "Unit xxxxxx", where the xxxxxx is the unit number where that PC will be installed. If 2 or more units share a PC, they each get their own username based on their unit number. As you mentioned, each unit is now asked to come up with their own password. I very much like what the church has done in this area.

And yes, I created a StakeAdmin account so I can have access to any PC in the stake without having to know all the passwords.
Do you generally set up your computers at the building? Our FM has stuff sent directly to me, or drops them off in bulk at one of the buildings, and I usually take them home and run through the initial set up there before distributing them to the buildings. Do you know if that will affect the setup scripts that they have?
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

natet wrote:Do you generally set up your computers at the building? Our FM has stuff sent directly to me, or drops them off in bulk at one of the buildings, and I usually take them home and run through the initial set up there before distributing them to the buildings. Do you know if that will affect the setup scripts that they have?
I have a similar arrangement with my FMG manager, whereby the computers are delivered to me, then I do the set ups. As long as you have the relevant unit information, that shouldn't make any difference to the scripts
natet

Post by natet »

Biggles wrote: I have a similar arrangement with my FMG manager, whereby the computers are delivered to me, then I do the set ups. As long as you have the relevant unit information, that shouldn't make any difference to the scripts
Hmm, odd. I received a shipment of computers in August of last year, and none of them have run these provisioning scripts. I guess I'll have to give support a call.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

That maybe new, as all the computers I prepared were supplied incorrectly imaged. This was about 2 years ago now. So dependant on which computer manufacturer, ours are Dell, there well maybe differences now, on how they are scripted.
natet

Post by natet »

Biggles wrote:That maybe new, as all the computers I prepared were supplied incorrectly imaged. This was about 2 years ago now. So dependant on which computer manufacturer, ours are Dell, there well maybe differences now, on how they are scripted.
OK, all these were Lenovo's. They might have been left over from the windows XP replacements.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

natet wrote:Do you generally set up your computers at the building?
My FM group is close enough that I just swing by and pick them up. I prefer to take them home and do all the initial setups and Windows updating there. Initializing them in parallel at home takes a lot less time (and gas) than doing it at the church buildings.

Just a heads up, my FM folks asked that I try to keep the PC's matched up with the unit name they wrote on each of the boxes. Apparently, their database tracks them by serial number. So as each PC was being unboxed, it received a Post-It style note with the unit's name and number. These were not removed until the PC's were installed in the various clerk's offices. There was no such request for any of the other gear, such as monitors.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

When I received new computers from the FM, the OA gave me the invoice, on which she had written each unit name next to its corresponding serial number. As I unboxed each computer, I used a label maker to create a label to identify each computer with its unit name and number. (Our unit clerks like to have their unit number on the front of the computer in case they forget it.) Five years later, I used Post-It notes on each new computer, and when I swapped out the old for the new at each meetinghouse, I peeled the label off the old computer and stuck it to the new computer.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
natet

Post by natet »

So, i just took a new computer to one of our buildings to install it. I had done the windows updates and such offsite at my home, set up sophos, mls, and miscellaneous software manually. As soon as it was connected on the network at the church building, the post install scripts kicked in. So, it appears that the post install scripts don't run unless you are on the church's network.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

natet wrote:As soon as it was connected on the network at the church building, the post install scripts kicked in. So, it appears that the post install scripts don't run unless you are on the church's network.
Interesting. My scripts launched while still at home, but that was almost a year ago and things change all the time.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

natet wrote:So, i just took a new computer to one of our buildings to install it. I had done the windows updates and such offsite at my home, set up sophos, mls, and miscellaneous software manually. As soon as it was connected on the network at the church building, the post install scripts kicked in. So, it appears that the post install scripts don't run unless you are on the church's network.
IIRC, the same thing was true of the last batch of FHC computers I installed. Parts of the installation only worked when connected to the Church's network.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Clerk Computers”