Microsoft Office 2010 and new Lenovo

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
aclawson

Microsoft Office 2010 and new Lenovo

Post by aclawson »

I was pleased to note that the new Lenovo machines come with Microsoft Office 2010 pre-installed. A couple clicks of the mouse and you can activate the free version and use that instead of Open Office.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I assume you are taking about MS Office Starter Edition. I think it's pretty common on new Win7 machines. It's a stripped down version. For example, one of the features I found missing in Excel was the ability to lock the top row. I use that a lot to keep my column names in view as I scroll.

You can read more about it here.

We'll have to see what the new policy says about it. The draft version I saw said to remove it. (I did give feedback as to why - since I couldn't see any license restriction against church use.)

Note that one of the limitations is that it must be pre-installed. You can't install it on older machines. It also has advertising, which so far in my personal use has always been for MS Office.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”