Shared/Network Drives

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
failproof

Shared/Network Drives

Post by failproof »

We have 3 PCs in our stake clerk's office. I realize this is non-standard, the solution was in place before I was called as STS over 5 years ago.
(Not to get to far off topic, but all 3 were replaced by FM shortly after I was called, it was one of my first assignments to configure and install them. I didn't know then, that FM does not normally replace/support more than one per clerk's office, so it has since become a little surprising that they did it back then. The last round of upgrades/replacements, they only replaced one of them, and ultimately if we want the other 2 replaced it will have to come from stake budget)

So back to topic... again inherited, but continued to be supported by me, the one, primary PC that has MLS installed, also has some network shared directories for the Assistant Stake Clerk and Stake Executive Secretary to be able to share files with the Stake Clerk and each other. I've continued to support this for them but it has become increasingly more difficult. When Windows 10 began to be rolled out we had some challenges getting Win 7 and Win 10 machines to play nicely, but eventually got it working. Then we started to lose the network connectivity between machines because Sophos was blocking it. I tweaked the Sophos settings at that time to allow the traffic between them, and actually had to do it more than once because Sophos updates kept dropping my added allow rules.

Recently Sophos updated to a version that I no longer have access to tweak, and I'm guessing that a call to Global Support will reveal that they don't want me unblocking it and don't have specific solution for me to do what we've been doing for some time now.

I'm wondering what others are doing in this sphere. Are your stakes using cloud services like OneDrive or Google Drive, and are there any concerns about security with this option, or is anyone doing something else to provide shared drive space for situations like this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Shared/Network Drives

Post by russellhltn »

failproof wrote:I'm wondering what others are doing in this sphere. Are your stakes using cloud services like OneDrive or Google Drive, and are there any concerns about security with this option, or is anyone doing something else to provide shared drive space for situations like this?
Networking isn't a good idea - anyone who knows the local admin password can access those files from anywhere on the WiFi network.

I've seen other units using cloud services, but it's prohibited to store membership information there. So, you'd have to be careful about what's stored there. Nothing confidential or even sensitive. Typically agendas that do not list people's names.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”