Lost Baptismal Records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
sgtbrown26-p40

Lost Baptismal Records

Post by sgtbrown26-p40 »

Recently I was called as a ward clerk and while printing the bishop action list I found several children between 9 and 11yrs old who were unbaptized. I attended most of the baptisms. I asked the previous ward clerk and he said that MLS updated after we had a beta version (not sure why we had a beta version but...) and several ordinances were droped from our records in MLS. We have fixed the priesthood ordinations. If I click on Unit Refresh Data will MLS update based on CHQ records and replace the missing information for the baptisms?

Or should I call CHQ and ask for the information and manually input the information into their records? If so, what is the number I call?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sgtbrown26 wrote:If I click on Unit Refresh Data will MLS update based on CHQ records and replace the missing information for the baptisms?
Do a Unit Refresh is certainly worth a try. That process will get all the membership records assigned to the ward. If the baptisms are indeed properly recorded on the CHQ records, then this should update the information in MLS.
sgtbrown26 wrote:Or should I call CHQ and ask for the information and manually input the information into their records? If so, what is the number I call?
You would just contact Local Unit Support.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
sgtbrown26-p40

Post by sgtbrown26-p40 »

Thank you Alan. I am a bit worried about using the Unit Refresh. I am worried that if I use this option membership information that I have recorded in MLS that has not been recorded at CHQ yet, will be reverted back to what CHQ has. Is my concern valid? Will my financial records change in MLS if I use this options?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sgtbrown26 wrote:Thank you Alan. I am a bit worried about using the Unit Refresh. I am worried that if I use this option membership information that I have recorded in MLS that has not been recorded at CHQ yet, will be reverted back to what CHQ has. Is my concern valid? Will my financial records change in MLS if I use this options?
Any membership record changes you have recorded in MLS should have already been transmitted. Such changes are recorded quickly (a matter of hours, not days). And even your request for a refresh happens to be received near the time of some particular record update, I've never seen the update get lost. I wouldn't have any concerns in this area.

Your financial records will be completely unaffected -- the unit refresh only affects the membership side of MLS.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
sgtbrown26-p40

Post by sgtbrown26-p40 »

I will try unit refresh when I get to the computer and I hope that the baptismal information has been recorded at CHQ. I want the records to be accurate and current. I have worked many long hours this past week sorting through piles of paperwork and trying to get the records accurate. I even found several outstanding checks in the files. Now wonder they're outstanding....they have never been given to the member to be cashed. One problem at a time. Now onto learning how to write an offical letter to invite a member to a follow up disciplinary council and how to properly deliever it.....
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sgtbrown26 wrote:I found several children between 9 and 11yrs old who were unbaptized.
How old where they when they were baptized? If they were 9 or more, it would have been up to the mission office to record them. That's a whole different problem.

But if they were 8 at the time, then the advice the others have given is a good start.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sgtbrown26-p40

Post by sgtbrown26-p40 »

They were all baptized when they when they were 8.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sgtbrown26 wrote:They were all baptized when they when they were 8.
Note that MLS may not allow you to enter the information now that they are no longer 8. If that's the case, I'd suggest using the "Special Request" feature to pass the information to CHQ. (Assuming the other's advice doesn't work.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
compean0466

Re: Lost Baptismal Records

Post by compean0466 »

missionaries found an inactive sister that was 5 yrs ago in different ward. she wants to come back but i cannot find records. she know who baptized her, when where. can her records be recreated or wil she need to be rebaptized?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Lost Baptismal Records

Post by russellhltn »

compean0466 wrote:missionaries found an inactive sister that was 5 yrs ago in different ward. she wants to come back but i cannot find records. she know who baptized her, when where. can her records be recreated or wil she need to be rebaptized?
I'd call Support and see if they can help find the records. I wouldn't hurt to call the mission office that was involved as well. Otherwise, consult Handbook 1: 16.1.10.

Return to “Membership Help”