View Membership Record out of Unit

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
brown67

View Membership Record out of Unit

Post by brown67 »

I won't go into details, but we have someone who showed up that we think stole another members Identity. He has name, birthday, and MRN. However, he doesn't want his records moved to our Ward. Our Bishop wants to contact his previous Ward's BIshop. Can we look at his record without moving his records to our Ward? If I can't how do I get previous Ward's info.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: View Membership Record out of Unit

Post by jdlessley »

The ward clerk can contact the GSC and explain the situation along with the member information you do have. They may require the bishop to contact them to get the information.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

brown67 wrote:However, he doesn't want his records moved to our Ward.
Outside of some rare cases, assuming he's living within the ward boundaries, he doesn't have a choice.

A member can always show up at another ward, but can't get a calling, temple recommend, etc.

I'd review Handbook 1: 13.6 to figure out what should be done after you make the call to CHQ.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Outside of some rare cases, assuming he's living within the ward boundaries, he doesn't have a choice.
True. But if he stole another member's identity and is presenting that information as his own, you would not want to move the record. You would want to find out who he really is and try to find his real record, if it exists.

I think the current bishop is wise to contact the former bishop. If the former bishop says the real member still lives in his ward, you have an imposter. If it turns out he is giving truthful information, and the former bishop has no reason to retain the record (there are only very few times this is appropriate), then the new bishop requests the record and proceeds from there.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I think the current bishop is wise to contact the former bishop.
Agreed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
brown67

Post by brown67 »

Update: called Salt Lake and got his previous Ward information. My Bishop is going to call his previous Ward's BIshop.
momryther

Re: Snowbirds records

Post by momryther »

We have “snowbirds” here in Southern Utah who, most of the year, reside in a snowy place and have their records there. But for 3-5 months they winter in St George. It’s very hard to keep track of them (they are elderly and sometimes need assistance) without their records.
Can I ask my Ward clerk to create an ‘Out of Unit’ record even if they will not hold a calling here?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Snowbirds records

Post by scgallafent »

momryther wrote:We have “snowbirds” here in Southern Utah who, most of the year, reside in a snowy place and have their records there. But for 3-5 months they winter in St George. It’s very hard to keep track of them (they are elderly and sometimes need assistance) without their records.
Can I ask my Ward clerk to create an ‘Out of Unit’ record even if they will not hold a calling here?
Yes, your ward clerk can create an out-of-unit record even if they don't have a calling.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Question along similar lines. We presently have visiting our ward for 6 months, a Branch President from another country.

Can an Out of Unit record be created for him without affecting his Branch President calling?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Biggles wrote:Question along similar lines. We presently have visiting our ward for 6 months, a Branch President from another country.

Can an Out of Unit record be created for him without affecting his Branch President calling?
Yes, an out-of-unit record can be created without affecting his calling.

Return to “Membership Help”