Searching/Updating Member Records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
landbeck

Searching/Updating Member Records

Post by landbeck »

I'm wondering if it would be worth the cost to spend funds on one of the online services to find out current information on some of the unseen folks on our records. I would love to hear any examples or stories, whether warning about what NOT to do, or anything that anyone has found was a best practice.

I have been looking up addresses on some of the free sights online, then cross-checking those addresses with our State's Property Tax service to see who is on-record as the owner of the property at that address.

I've also looked up the names on our State's Judiciary Case Search and occasionally have found the name/address to either confirm or update. But most are just missing, and I've not been able to find anything.

Has anyone ever had guidance or direction on what is advised or specifically permitted, as far as services? I'm reluctant to spend funds on doing this kind of online PI work, but we really would like to answer some of these questions.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Searching/Updating Member Records

Post by scgallafent »

There are several existing threads about this that would be worth reading. Here are a couple you can start with:
https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=23801
https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=31332
landbeck

Post by landbeck »

scgallafent wrote:There are several existing threads about this that would be worth reading. Here are a couple you can start with:
Thank you, and while I appreciate the effort and research finding those threads would have taken, they are both nearly (or actually) a decade old.

We have just recently had some records come into our Unit that were wildly incorrect, and in an effort to address our current load of inaccurate records, I was wondering if any other Units or staff had a particular process they'd found to be reliable, a "best practice" we could try.

In the meantime, we will keep doing what we are doing, and looking closely at the neighborhoods and information we can find.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

make sure you are looking at the posting date and not the date the user joined

The posts from the first link are all from 2016
The posts from the second link are all from 2018
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
landbeck

Post by landbeck »

kd7mha wrote:make sure you are looking at the posting date and not the date the user joined

The posts from the first link are all from 2016
The posts from the second link are all from 2018
This is officially to most amusing self-stumble I have made today.

Thank you again for the links, and thank you doubly to the gentle guidance in reading the links.

Return to “Membership Help”