is there a way to pull up part member families?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
shaineltom

is there a way to pull up part member families?

Post by shaineltom »

The missionaries have been asking for a list of part member families. Is there a way to generate this list?
davesudweeks

Re: is there a way to pull up part member families?

Post by davesudweeks »

Yes, and no.

Custom reports can be generated in LCR by the Bishop, Ward Clerk, and Executive Secretary (at the ward level). I run this report regularly for our missionaries. Criteria I use:
Filter 1: select members whose member status is "married"
Filter 2: select members who's member status IS NOT "spouse is a member"

I have the report include the member name and gender, spouse name, and their contact information. Once the report is set up, it can be rerun and printed at any time. I never e-mail the report - I print a copy for the missionaries and ask them to return it or shred it when they are finished with it.

Caveat: This list is only as accurate as the membership records. Less active members often have inaccurate membership records (singles have married or divorces have not been recorded). I always ask our missionaries to report back on what changes they find in their visits so the ward council can pursue further.

MLS still has custom report capability and anyone with MLS access can run MLS custom reports - I set this report up on our MLS long before LCR came into being. The beauty of MLS is one can set up the report, and export the report structure (without any membership data) that can be transferred to another unit and imported into their MLS for a ready-built custom report. That is a very handy feature for missionaries who want to transfer a custom report to different wards they work with as the structure can be sent via email without any risk of violating church policies (there is no membership data in the report structure - it is just the rules to run the report). However, I personally believe MLS' days are limited and eventually it will be phased out with everything on LCR (note: I have absolutely no insight into the planning of these things - I'm just a ward clerk in Oklahoma). The same caveats apply with MLS custom reports as with LCR custom reports.
klricks

Post by klricks »

davesudweeks wrote:....
Caveat: This list is only as accurate as the membership records. Less active members often have inaccurate membership records (singles have married or divorces have not been recorded). I always ask our missionaries to report back on what changes they find in their visits so the ward council can pursue further.
Also FYI any member whose spouse has gone through certain disciplinary actions will be shown on the list.
Assistant Ward Clerk
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

klricks wrote:
davesudweeks wrote:....
Also FYI any member whose spouse has gone through certain disciplinary actions will be shown on the list.
Only if they have lost their church membership. In that case, they will show as a nonmember, which they currently are. Sensitivity is advised as indicated by klricks with any such situation so a short discussion with the missionaries (without specific details) may be appropriate to give them the understanding of the path the family is on when they make a visit.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:[Sensitivity is advised as indicated by klricks with any such situation so a short discussion with the missionaries (without specific details) may be appropriate to give them the understanding of the path the family is on when they make a visit.
Which is a good idea anyway. I'm not a fan of distributing names without a briefing. They have no idea if they're about to step into something.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Agreed. When we have new missionaries come ask for the list, I always tell them any generalized information about the families on the list that I am aware of. I have been ward clerk or HPGL most of the time I have lived in this ward so am familiar with almost all the families.

Return to “Membership Help”