Stake boundary change: can't find members of old ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jtyewhit

Stake boundary change: can't find members of old ward

Post by jtyewhit »

We did a boundary realignment in our stake. One ward was retired (Redmond 3rd ward). The Bishop went to use the boundary realignment tool to move members of the retired ward into the new ward, but can't find any of the R3 members.

I also took a look and can't find them.

Hopefully this is just a newbie thing. As the Stake Clerk, I can't see the boundary realignment tool under membership that allows you to move people so I'm not sure what I should be able to see. But shouldn't the memb ers of the now dissolved ward still show up so we can use the tool to move them to the newly organized ward?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Stake boundary change: can't find members of old ward

Post by jonesrk »

This is a result of CDOL (organizations) and CMIS (members) being different systems. Their membership records are still in the 3rd ward in CMIS, but the 3rd ward is discontinued in CDOL so now it doesn't show up in LCR. I'll ask tomorrow what the best way to get this cleaned up is (the other option is to call the GSC and see what they can do about it). Long term the best solution is for the Boundary and Leader app to handle all the back-end work for implementing these proposals. It would then be able to create all the units, move all the members and discontinue any units as needed. One of these days we'll get there (but I wouldn't hold your breath - I don't have any inside info on when that might happen).
jtyewhit

Post by jtyewhit »

Thanks, Ryan. I'm not sure who the 'GSC' is I should call :-)
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

That's the Global Service Center (see https://www.lds.org/help/support/suppor ... r?lang=eng for numbers)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jonesrk wrote:This is a result of CDOL (organizations) and CMIS (members) being different systems. Their membership records are still in the 3rd ward in CMIS, but the 3rd ward is discontinued in CDOL so now it doesn't show up in LCR.
It will be simple for headquarters to move the records from the discontinued 3rd ward if they all now belong in the same new ward. The challenge will be if the discontinued ward was sent in many different directions.

When faced with this situation, we always made it a priority to move all of the records out on the day of the change so that they were all gone from the discontinued ward by the time headquarters was notified of the change. Of course, that is 20/20 hindsight.

And even that planning ahead got us in trouble one time when we moved hundreds of records from a number of wards to a newly created ward (using MLS in the older days) and they got stranded in the system because headquarters had not turned on the new unit. Local Unit Support had to fix that one, too.

I like the idea of jonesrk that all of the computers work together to figure out these things. And good luck with that.

Return to “Membership Help”