Can a stake clerk move membership records?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jtyewhit

Can a stake clerk move membership records?

Post by jtyewhit »

In 2012, when I was a ward clerk, I remember functionality being added so you could electronically request records. Now, as a Stake Clerk, I had a situation tonight where we wanted to move a record from one ward to another in the stake but I don't see an option in either LCR or MLS to do so.

My assumption is that only ward clerks can move membership records in and out of their ward. Is that correct?

I have another assumption which is that the stake clerk can't modify ward callings, i.e. to add the ward clerk calling to someone is something that must be done at the ward level.

Both of these restrictions make sense to me. I just want to verify that they are actual restrictions and not just failure on my part to understand where these knobs are.

-Tyler
eblood66

Re: Can a stake clerk move membership records?

Post by eblood66 »

Yes, only ward clerks can move records.

For the most part stake clerks can't change ward level callings. However, there are a few exceptions. The stake has to enter bishops. Purely ward level callings (called by the bishop or EQ president) definitely have to be entered by the ward. Ward level callings where the call is made by the stake can be entered at the ward level. It used to be that the stake could not enter any of these positions but it seems like that may have been loosened for some of those positions but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone with experience at the stake level can say for certain whether any of those positions can be changed by the stake.
klricks

Post by klricks »

If you want to know who has access to what.....go to LCR [Other] --> [Access Table] select the calling and the chart will show what they can or cannot do.
Assistant Ward Clerk
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

klricks wrote:If you want to know who has access to what.....go to LCR [Other]--> [Access Table] select the calling and the chart will show what they can or cannot do.
Yes, but that table just mentions the Manage Callings right. It doesn't differentiate between ward callings and stake callings or (in particular) ward callings made by the stake. So the Access Table says that both the ward clerk and stake clerk can manage callings but the ward clerk can't edit stake callings and the stake clerk can't edit most ward callings.
jtyewhit

Post by jtyewhit »

Thank you for the replies.

My (limited) experience has been that I can't modify ward callings.

We are changing the Bishop in a young single adult ward. Based on http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Temporary_memb ... the_record, it looks like the right thing to do is leave the new young single adults Bishop's record where it is, and create an out-of-unit record for him and assign that to the Bishop calling. Sound right?

Here's what it says at the link above:

"When members are called to a serve in a unit outside of the boundaries where they live there is a need to create an Out of Unit record for them in MLS. Examples of when to create the record: … Priesthood leaders in young single adult and student units."

Our young single adult ward includes the boundaries of 3 stakes, including ours. One way to read this is that the new Bishop's unit is within the boundaries of where they live (given that the YSA ward includes our stake) and based on that and we give him the Bishop calling. But that seems confusing. I think leaving his record where it is, creating an out-of-unit record for him in the YSA ward and give that one the Bishop calling is correct. Agree?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jtyewhit wrote:I think leaving his record where it is, creating an out-of-unit record for him in the YSA ward and give that one the Bishop calling is correct. Agree?
Yes.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jtyewhit wrote:We are changing the Bishop in a young single adult ward. Based on http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Temporary_memb ... the_record, it looks like the right thing to do is leave the new young single adults Bishop's record where it is, and create an out-of-unit record for him and assign that to the Bishop calling. Sound right?
Note that the wiki is out of date and is not an authoritative source anymore. The better source for this topic is in the Help Center: https://www.lds.org/help/support/member ... s?lang=eng

This link explicitly indicates that the membership record of a bishop of a YSA ward remains in their residential ward.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

When out-of-unit membership records first came to Leader and Clerk Resources, the bishop's out-of-unit membership record needed to be created on the ward level (i.e. by a ward clerk), before his calling could be recorded on the stake level (by a stake clerk). If that's still the case (I'm no longer a clerk), it's easiest if both clerks work together in the same room to get the bishop recorded. After the bishop is recorded, the ward is able to put in the counselors, etc. themselves.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Membership Help”