Head of household

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
gfhirschi

Head of household

Post by gfhirschi »

I have a family were Father is head of household which is correct but wife is head of household in her record and daughter is head of household in her record.
Can I just add the wife and daughter in fathers record and head of house will be deleted in their individual record??
Thanks for your help...
davesudweeks

Re: Head of household

Post by davesudweeks »

You should be able to move each individual into the father's household and the system will recognize the correct relationship. You should make sure the marriage information matches for both the husband and wife first. You don't delete anything. When you move them to his household, it should correct their record.

If they are already attached to his household but showing an incorrect relationship, you would remove them from the household (to make them their own household of 1 individual) and then add them back to his household which should fix the problem.
lynn.monney

Post by lynn.monney »

a daughter has married a nonmember and needs to become a head of household on her own and out of her father's group. how do I make that change
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Click on the "Household" tab.
At the bottom of the list of family members, click the "Split Household" button
Then select the member(s) who will be removed from the existing household and become their own household.
Identify the member who will be the new head of household (if you are only removing 1 child, they will automatically become the new head of their household) and click the continue button.
robertmckinley

Post by robertmckinley »

Should YSAs living at home with their parents be made Head of Household or kept under their parents household?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

robertmckinley wrote:Should YSAs living at home with their parents be made Head of Household or kept under their parents household?
That is a question best posed to the bishop. I have seen both scenarios depending on the circumstances of the YSA and their family.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The biggest impact of this will be on mistering by the Elders Quorum.

Some wards have the policy that if the child has left home for any reason (school, work, mission) and then returns, they should be their own HoH.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote:Some wards have the policy that if the child has left home for any reason (school, work, mission) and then returns, they should be their own HoH.
And some wards have no such policy, LOL. But I absolutely agree that it can affect ministering routes and assignments which is why I think the Bishop should be consulted as appropriate.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:And some wards have no such policy, LOL.
Just to be clear, I'm talking about that ward's local policy. It's not binding on any other unit. But it does have a certain amount of sense. Once a child leaves the nest, they become a HoH while they're gone, so why not keep that when they return.

But at the same time, it's probably appropriate at some age to split them off.

It's all about meeting needs.

I took a quick look though the handbook and couldn't find anything.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Yes, I took it that way. I have seen cases where it makes sense to split them off. I have seen other cases where splitting them off is the worst thing (at that time). It all depends on the circumstances and what is best for the youth and family.

When I was clerk, we would usually leave returned missionaries in their parent's household when they came home. But once they went away to school or attended our local YSA branch, they were their own HOH afterwards.

Return to “Membership Help”